1. Michael Peer's rating of the film Overnight

To all aspiring filmmakers - heed warning: don't let ego ruin you like it did Troy Duffy. I've always hated Boondocks Saints - as a high school cinefile, it hurt my soul every time I heard someone list Boondock Saints as one of their favorite movies. The good news is that the quality of Boondock Saints has nothing to do with this documentary but this film explains everything behind the bland vision of Boondocks.

2. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Overnight

A fascinating car-crash. Duffy is the kind of deluded narcissist oft seen in British sitcoms; a monstrous amalgam of Alan Partridge & David Brent played entirely straight-faced. His self-belief is only matched by his ability to treat everyone around him like shit on the bottom of his shoes. It should be a guilty pleasure, but it ends up offering an eye-opening look into the backroom politics of the Hollywood machine.

3. film_lies101's rating of the film Overnight

Swing yer dick round and round, till it knocks everyone else down

4. Howard Orr's rating of the film Overnight

What happens when moderate talent doesn't learn humility -with hilarious results. To quote Jim W. Gettys, from a genuinely great filmmaker's work: "If it was anybody else, I'd say what's going to happen to you would be a lesson to you. Only you're going to need more than one lesson. And you're going to get more than one lesson."

5. LoverofLeCinema's rating of the film Overnight

6. Tom Barnard's rating of the film Overnight

This is depressing stuff, but it ultimately shows just how cruel Hollywood is and how wrong Duffy was about everything. He had some talent - he had to have done - but he will never, ever learn his lesson. The quotation at the end says it all.

7. Bullitt's rating of the film Overnight

A great documentary that examines what happens when an illiterate and delusional asshole gets a film deal. Essential viewing for aspiring filmmakers.

8. Sean's rating of the film Overnight

His personality annoyed me too much to enjoy this documentary.

9. Jonathan Hardesty's rating of the film Overnight

I want to second the idea that this film become a must-watch for upcoming filmmakers, especially if they're trying to go into directing. A pretty strong textbook of case of losing friends and alienating people in a system that's not very forgiving.

10. HEDONIST's rating of the film Overnight

Recently has become available streaming on Netflix... a truly compelling story of a shit-talking, alcoholic West Hollywood bartender (Duffy) who convinces Hollywood bigwig Harvey Weinstein to buy his script and shoot/finance his movie... Yet, that's only how it begins. We are then shown how, somehow, with all his success, he manages to, progressively, ruin it all. Oh how I love you schadenfreude...!