1. FISCHER's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

Le cinéaste subjugue le spectateur par l'intensité des rapports de force entre les principaux protagonistes (sociaux, amoureux, militaires, moraux) et ne cesse d'intriguer par certaines soutenues connotations judéo-chrétiennes pas seulement dans l'amoralité comportementale des protagonistes mais aussi par d'explicites références imagées ou verbales qui pourraient parfois même sembler anachroniques. www.cinefiches.com

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

3. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

Plodding, disjointed, nearly incoherent Japanese “Boule de Suif” with Yamada Isuzu as the hooker with the heart of gold. Looks great, as expected, but Mizoguchi seems completely out at sea here. Not only the one conspicuous stumble in the director's masterpiece run of the 1930s, it's easily his worst film.

4. Aydin KhaliliK's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

The stagecoach scenes smartly remind western films, though the editing seems to be borrowed from russian cinema. I think it's a bit different from other mizoguchi's works, dealing with geishas' lives at the time of hardship.

5. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

This is the weakest of the Mizoguchi films I have seen, mainly due to the awkward beginning. That being said, once it gets going- it gets going. The framing is consistently beautiful throughout, and in traditional Mizoguchi fashion, we do end up sympathizing with his female leads and feel utter heartbreak for their tragedy. Overall, it was a good film!

6. joey Noodles's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

My least favourite Mizoguchi out of those I have seen. The story just isn't as compelling enough as it needed to be and it felt awfully drawn out. However, the scene in the carriage and the dialogue at the end is very good, Yamada is good as well but it just felt like a Mizoguchi without much emotional drive. Anyway, a decent film. 3/5

7. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

I thought the spareness in the direction undermined the pathos Mizoguchi probably had intended in the first place, to me it's just an OK effort.

8. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film Oyuki the Virgin

An awesome early work by Mizoguchi...more of his stuff needs to be released in the U.S.!