1. Antares Rising's rating of the film Passing Strange

musical theater lives, and Spike Lee captures it brilliantly

2. JoAnne Voightlander's rating of the film Passing Strange

The acting, the music, the entire presentation- wonderful! The only thing that shaves off a star is the ending. The sappiness about mothers and their rightness and their love was, at least, less indulgent than the sappiness about fathers in BIG FISH, but I still felt preached to. Other than that, it was all stellar.

3. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Passing Strange

Put it down to an aversion to explain-it-with-song musicals, but Stew's coming of age tale didn't quite click.

4. Erik F.'s rating of the film Passing Strange

"You know, absence really does make the heart grow into a state of mind that somehow transforms what you once couldn't stand about your family into a somehow quaint, pleasure-giving construct!"

5. Loz Loory's rating of the film Passing Strange

2.5 Wanted to love this, because "Do the Right Thing" is one of the most important movies of all time. Unfortunately, this musical lacks profundity, and Spike can't change that. The plot is straight forward and pedestrian; it lacks the density of narrative structure and metaphor to make the show a timeless work of art. I hope that people heed the mentions of James Baldwin and read his spectacular writings.

6. ekeal9497's rating of the film Passing Strange

I am a HUGE fan of Spike Lee films. From joint films to documentaries, his work truly identifies the word passion. Passing Strange was an awesome play/musical to watch. Me being a music major, i loved everything sung in gospel. The religious values in the musical overwhelmed me with what i thought could change people's views. I'm not going to go that route but this musical really changed my perspective. Highly Go See

7. rachelldancer's rating of the film Passing Strange

Really entertaining movie to watch, never got boring at any point. I really enjoyed the different angles Spike Lee incorporated. The musical scenes were vibrant and exciting. It's a very high energy movie that makes you feel good, accompanied with some very good laughs. The quality of the cinematography was aesthetically pleasing which made it even better. The actors were great at making the artistry come alive

8. Kavionna's rating of the film Passing Strange

This film is phenomenal I really enjoyed watching it Lee's direction was amazing job with each angles. The Musicals came alive in the long takes, and Lee's There's enough humor and energy to make you want to watch it over and over again. The cinematography is amazing It really kept me in tune on what the plot was about. I do recommend to this anyone who loves a good laugh and loves musicals.

9. Brian's rating of the film Passing Strange

Spike Lee is a well known director, and is known for race issues and controversy. This film shows a young black man trying to take his talents to Europe. This movie is noted as a musical and the main character Stew, wants to go against society and express his feelings through his music. He plays mostly rock with elements of Jazz, Blues, Gospel, and punk. Since I have passion for music, I can relate with this movie.

10. Nu's rating of the film Passing Strange

11. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Passing Strange

Storytelling at its most personal. This is one of my all-time favorite musicals/concerts. I have owned the DVD for years. Watching again via MUBI, it was another TRANSCENDENT viewing/experience for me. The sheer artistry of the songwriting and complete honesty of the performances are beyond compare. Spike Lee deftly captures the sheer beauty of this live performance. Amazing piece of art.

12. mpho3's rating of the film Passing Strange

Two elements - 1) Mark Stewart life and the stage show and 2) Lee's recording of such. Even with great stage material, Broadway on the big screen if often a fail. I loved the way Lee filmed this, plain and simple. The camera work and edits are just right. It's high energy, great to look at, and it feels real. "Church," ever the loaded concept.

13. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Passing Strange

Filming a stage play is a fool's game; you can't capture the power, intimacy and intensity of a great live show. Spike Lee played that fool's game and won. This is an amazing movie.

14. FilmFan<3's rating of the film Passing Strange

This is an exceptional feat by the writer, director, actor STU. Lee's lens is the perfect match for STU's fantastical, scary, and moving look at his own life story.

15. Christopher Bentley Owen's rating of the film Passing Strange

I like the music and writing a lot, but I have to admit that sometimes the acting seemed to overreach (even for theatre). I was actually not fond of Lee's direction- too many cuts, to many angles. Musicals come alive in long takes, and Lee's shot selection favored individual performances (which were telegraphed to the live audience, not the camera). There's enough humor and energy to make it worthwhile, though.

16. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Passing Strange

The genius of this is Stew but Lee does a great job of making this play seem vibrant and alive.