1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Paths of Glory

2. Renton47's rating of the film Paths of Glory

I might offer Paths as contender for the leanest film ever made. Both watches I've had a similar experience: it begins and I'm reticent, pushing against the stuffy old guys talking shop. Within a few frames of shirtless Kirk I'm enticed, the wit slicing through the lines. By its end I'm angry and moved, and amazed at a concise and heroic technical feat that feels both indie and epic.

3. gld48's rating of the film Paths of Glory

4. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Vanity. Career. Carelessness. Decision making against better knowledge. That is war about. If you have Generals & Commanders like these, you don't need enemies anymore. Outstanding movie in all aspects: very well written dialogues, brilliant actors, top camera. Stanley Kubrick's early work. Masterpiece.

5. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Paths of Glory

"People aren't afraid of getting killed; they're afraid of getting hurt."

6. viola mombe's rating of the film Paths of Glory

difficile da dimenticare e di rara potenza la camminata impetuosa di kirk douglas nella trincia mentre impazzano le esplosioni e i soldati tra la polvere si schiacciano contro le mura di fango.spesso ci si dimentica quanto vasto, sfaccettato, inquietante sia l'animo umano e questo film ce lo ricorda crudelmente. no happy ending questa volta, no glory, difficile uscirne vivi, figuratevi puliti.

7. yovargas's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Sharp, tough, smart anti-war movie - fascinating, provocative premise; top-notch writing; an all-around great cast performance; beautiful, harrowing directing. Just an all around damn good movie, so why doesn't it get a higher rating? I don't know. I feel like I should have *loved* it, but somehow I "only" really, really liked it. This one gets a very strong B.

8. FISCHER's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Un splendide chef-d'oeuvre anti-militariste d'une virulente dénonciation quant à l'horreur et l'absurdité de la guerre qui laisse un souvenir impérissable... www.cinefiches.com

9. João Carlos's rating of the film Paths of Glory

10. Paul Mallinson's rating of the film Paths of Glory

My favourite Kubrick film. Well, this or either Barry Lyndon. Who cares? No one. Exactly.

11. vizija's rating of the film Paths of Glory

12. MistaRichard's rating of the film Paths of Glory

One of the definitive pieces on war.

13. JCPJD's rating of the film Paths of Glory

After watching this I'm of the belief that Kubrick wasn't really interested (or didn't know what to do) with actors. His best work is written and produced by himself - here is that rare glimpse of him working in the studio system. There's a lot of wooden performances, made worse by strange and frenetic blocking by the director. The script is a very preachy. Having said that - those Kubrick shots still creep in.

14. mac le mac's rating of the film Paths of Glory

15. tri ...'s rating of the film Paths of Glory

16. jbizarro's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

17. miles's rating of the film Paths of Glory

quite outstanding and straightforward

18. SpacePirate's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Best war film that isn't The Big Parade or All Quiet...I am not a Kubrick fan, but must give credit where credit is due here. He approached Douglas with the story and without his vision and involvement, this great story may never have been told. So many good things here: Douglas' understated performance (for him) and the mise-en-scene and camerawork are just years ahead of their time. Essential viewing.

19. Tatami's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Simple but masterfully executed. We need more great films on WW1.

20. Zach Closs's rating of the film Paths of Glory

My favourite Kubrick film. The young master at his most vehement; but of course, still meticulous, and ferociously intelligent in his singularly ballsy way -- at a time when John Wayne vehicles and macaroni combat films glamorizing WWII were considered the bee's knees, Stanley cranked out a movie that shits on the military, blind patriotism and even religion, depicting war as unavailing and utterly worthless.

21. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Paths of Glory

22. sercan's rating of the film Paths of Glory

23. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Paths of Glory

One of the best anti-war films. I remember the first time I saw this, when I was probably fourteen, and being blown away on a technical level. On this viewing I was more impressed on an emotional one. The final moments of the three men condemned to death are riveting and raw, leaving quite an impact. Kirk Douglas is awesome, as he usually seems to be.

24. ceknklsn's rating of the film Paths of Glory