1. justadele's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Adoré Représentatif de la cruauté humaine que l'on a les uns à l'égard des autres. Abus de pouvoir mais aussi faux semblants d'autorité qui fait naître trop de confiance chez certaine personne.

2. laboracherie's rating of the film Paths of Glory

3. Jim's rating of the film Paths of Glory

★★★★/ 35mm / Kubrick’s brilliant film, begins on the battlefield, men trapped in bunkers, the constant roar of bombs, soldiers terrified, senseless slaughter, turns into a surreal courtroom drama, revealing the absurdities of war. Kubrick creates stunning moments, trailing Douglas through the bunkers, the failed attack, the garish ballroom dance, the slow walk toward execution, the soldiers singing through tears.

4. Andre's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Kubrick's visual style emerges fully formed, with his tracks and deep focus compositions intact, but the humanity what impresses. Each vignette advances the theme of process: war is killing, this is what it takes to kill a man this is what you have to do, this is how such decisions are made, and this is how people feel. To shamelessly steal from Ebert: Kubrick made many great films; but this one is perfect.

5. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Paths of Glory

6. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Paths of Glory

I feel like Kubrick got all of his humanism out of his system for this one and then spent the rest of his life making films about humans as ants within diabolical machines! A deeply moral, deeply moving film. Very fine.

7. robertsandu's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Great film, and one of my favorites from Kubrick. The war scenes are perfect in their obscurity, rather capturing the agonizing nature of the battle. Few films, if any, are as great at capturing not the violence of war, but the sinister moments of silence on the battlefield. And that's only a part of what makes this film amazing. Simple, as in not explicit. Not simplistic.

8. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Paths of Glory

9. Duarte Ferreira's rating of the film Paths of Glory

In Kubrick's sophomore effort, his direction becomes more ambitious and visually riveting, but also the writing, which feels a lot more incisive and thought-out. I'm baffled that this movie isn't talked about more. This is essential viewing!

10. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Paths of Glory

3-3.5. It's beautifully shot and works a lot of little details in to shame the military-industrial complex, but at the same time, it's relatively simple, and its bluntness feels characteristic of both Kubrick and political dramas made at the time. That being said, it is moving, and humanistically agreeable (I especially liked the end scene, even if the arcing was a little quick). Even 50s Kubrick was pretty liberal.

11. tommy cruise's rating of the film Paths of Glory

12. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Paths of Glory

13. Renton47's rating of the film Paths of Glory

I might offer Paths as contender for the leanest film ever made. Both watches I've had a similar experience: it begins and I'm reticent, pushing against the stuffy old guys talking shop. Within a few frames of shirtless Kirk I'm enticed, the wit slicing through the lines. By its end I'm angry and moved, and amazed at a concise and heroic technical feat that feels both indie and epic.

14. gld48's rating of the film Paths of Glory

15. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Vanity. Career. Carelessness. Decision making against better knowledge. That is war about. If you have Generals & Commanders like these, you don't need enemies anymore. Outstanding movie in all aspects: very well written dialogues, brilliant actors, top camera. Stanley Kubrick's early work. Masterpiece.

16. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Paths of Glory

"People aren't afraid of getting killed; they're afraid of getting hurt."

17. viola mombe's rating of the film Paths of Glory

difficile da dimenticare e di rara potenza la camminata impetuosa di kirk douglas nella trincia mentre impazzano le esplosioni e i soldati tra la polvere si schiacciano contro le mura di fango.spesso ci si dimentica quanto vasto, sfaccettato, inquietante sia l'animo umano e questo film ce lo ricorda crudelmente. no happy ending questa volta, no glory, difficile uscirne vivi, figuratevi puliti.

18. yovargas's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Sharp, tough, smart anti-war movie - fascinating, provocative premise; top-notch writing; an all-around great cast performance; beautiful, harrowing directing. Just an all around damn good movie, so why doesn't it get a higher rating? I don't know. I feel like I should have *loved* it, but somehow I "only" really, really liked it. This one gets a very strong B.

19. FISCHER's rating of the film Paths of Glory

Un splendide chef-d'oeuvre anti-militariste d'une virulente dénonciation quant à l'horreur et l'absurdité de la guerre qui laisse un souvenir impérissable... www.cinefiches.com

20. João Carlos's rating of the film Paths of Glory

21. Paul Mallinson's rating of the film Paths of Glory

My favourite Kubrick film. Well, this or either Barry Lyndon. Who cares? No one. Exactly.

22. vizija's rating of the film Paths of Glory

23. MistaRichard's rating of the film Paths of Glory

One of the definitive pieces on war.

24. JCPJD's rating of the film Paths of Glory

After watching this I'm of the belief that Kubrick wasn't really interested (or didn't know what to do) with actors. His best work is written and produced by himself - here is that rare glimpse of him working in the studio system. There's a lot of wooden performances, made worse by strange and frenetic blocking by the director. The script is a very preachy. Having said that - those Kubrick shots still creep in.