1. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Perhaps it's good, but I tried twice and didn't manage to watch the whole thing.

2. Quattro's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

I have a problem with films that mix documentary and fiction. I actually find them pretty hypocrit, as they pretend a truthfulness that ultimately isn't real, thus manipulating the audience. Paths of the soul is undubitably a fascinating movie–it's beautiful to look at, and cathartic to experience. It does have soul, that's true; but I really don't know how much credit I can give to it. (P.S. The kid, she's so cute!)

3. between7skies's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Breathtaking documentary of a pilgrimage. The film itself soars to spiritual heights of its subject, in its not interventionist approach. Observing without ever intruding, as is the camera and film maker has managed to make himself invisible is a bit of a miracle. The camera work is among the most beautiful I have seen on the screen. Mesmerizing landscape shots.

4. henningninneh's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Fascinating. There was a lot I didn't expect.

5. pkamalasekaran's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

You feel at the end that you have completed a holy pilgrimage.

6. DrFirestone's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

A pilgrimage through the majestic and harsh Tibetan landscape. A transcendent journey that feels like the representation of the greatest journey we have - our lives. The cinematography is impressive, especially the beautifully composed landscapes, however, the colours often look strange and the palette is inconsistent through the film. So is the editing - the sense of time is not captured well, was it intentional?

7. Paul Rot's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Another docu-fraud. Very enjoyable though.

8. ujjwal's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Faith, Spirituality, Perseverance, oh man. This really proved to be a journey of a life time. Zhang Yang has also maintained and respected the journey so well. Especially by not falling for cinematic antics and NOT trying too hard, but just being there and with them. The sound, especially of the prayers has been used and done well. The tireless steadfastness of the filmmaking is really admirable. Nice Edit too.

9. Ira Yun's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

An incredible "performance" ever done by humanity

10. Pegarange's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

A spiritual journey through wonderful mountainous landscapes (and none the less fascinating glimpses of everyday life among them). Simply beautiful.

11. dorusan's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

A mesmerising visual and transcendent voyage through the life and death of all of us, really. It should remind us all that nothing is permanent. The walking meditation is a feat of a lifetime for them. Excellent.

12. tinderness's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Der Film beschämt die selbstvergessenen und egozentrischen Pilgererlebnisse Europas a la Jakobsweg. Nicht für einen selbst nehmen die ProtagonistInnen die Mühsal des Pilgerns auf sich, sondern für die Anderen, in tiefer Hingabe. Aber: die beobachtende Kamera verändert wohl die Pilgerfahrt ganz essentiell, bedient den Exotismus der "Ersten Welt" und schielt in seiner Inszenierung auf den Effekt für die Zuschauer.

13. Follioti's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

I really liked the photography even if sometimes the landscapes don't seem very natural because of the satured light. The religious songs were haunting and very well used in the movie. But I would like to criticate this feel of time that we don't perceive very well in the movie. We see the distance, but the time isn't expressed that well. Maybe that was the point, to show that time doesn't exist in that kind travel.

14. Pavel Kuchar's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Now this is what I call a road fucking movie! I am talking Alvin Straight Story good!!

15. ha!'s rating of the film Paths of the Soul

16. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

17. ejonline's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

The film portrays a lengthy Buddhist pilgrimage across Tibet, the pilgrims kowtowing every few feet on a variety of hard and rough surfaces. I was reminded of Ataranjuat in terms of the commitment of the actors - they really did this. There is so little added drama that it plays like a documentary for much (though not all) of its running time. The meditative pace and the scenery were enveloping. Quite informative.

18. David R Williams's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

"Zhang Yang's road movie is an extraordinary chronicle of a 1,200-mile pilgrimage in Tibet." Endlessly fascinating. The level of belief they must have to do what they do...staggers me. Beautiful.

19. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

20. Wyatt69's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

This film really emphasized the intimacy of every day aspects of Buddhism. Zhang Yang expounded of the religion and what it entails by depicting the pilgrimage to Lhasa. The cold, desolate setting added volume to the themes of sacrifice, hardship, and altruistic coping. The director also used subtle but exceptional dolly shots and pan shots to remind us of the resplendent landscape of rural China.

21. lemonish5's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Start answering to necessity and not desire.

22. kdd's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

Not many movies make your knees and bach ache, but this one can. This is a movie about a group of very tough and humble people who won't give up on the way to their formidable goal. The lighting and of course the landscape - when we get to see above the road - are beautiful. The pacing, which is slow because it has to be, seems right.

23. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

This movie is a long journey... much like the people in the movie who go on an incredibly long pilgrimage It goes on for long shots of the pilgrims walking and kow-towing. It's very serene and almost ceremonial, and EXTREMELY beautiful to watch. So many lovely shots of the country, landscapes and unique views of this land. It's a meditative watch... almost spiritual in itself.

24. Semaj Hatcher's rating of the film Paths of the Soul

This film exhibits a long slow period that shows a pilgrimage and a journey of struggle, This flm shows bravery and dedication as tibiten citizens walk down highway 318 for 1200 miles to show the buddhist devotion. The theme of this film is basically spirtual reconstruction. It shows how the people come together on this journey during this long harsh winter. The experience of this film is warm, sensational and rich