1. FISCHER's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Une "comédie et proverbes" en forme de chassé-croisé sentimental et amoureux sur l'inusable thème de la jalousie et de la possession qui manque tout de même de chaleur et de densité "émotives"... www.cinefiches.com

2. P D Dawson's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Pierre loves Marion, Marion desires Henri, Henri only stays with Marion because she desires him, but he really desires Louisette, then we have Pauline caught in the middle seeking the love of Sylvain. This is a love triangle with each person desiring the wrong person. The questions raised in this film are articulate and yet futile, for it seems no one really understands the true workings of love, but Rohmer has fun.

3. Cyril Schreiber's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

4. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

5. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

I loved how the story unfolded. A perfect finale for a philosophical rom-com.

6. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

7. DSPRKY's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

The beach, often the locus of reckoning in Rohmer's work (La collectionneuse, Ma nuit chez Maud, Conte d'été), plays a similarly important role here. One gets the sense that Rohmer is having a laugh at the adults in the film. They're all too eager to pontificate about love, but are ultimately exposed as more foolish than the very children they seek to instruct.

8. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Una película sencilla y honesta acerca de la misteriosa naturaleza del amor, con sus pasiones y afectos no correspondidos e ingobernables.

9. ammar's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

10. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

An exceedingly leisurely if sometimes inconsistent farce where—apropos the thematic proverb about wagging your tongue—everyone tells a lie to everyone else at some point or another, wittingly or unwittingly. Motives can be frustratingly loose in some of Rohmer's scenes. But he centers the story beautifully on a teenager out to make goddamn sure she doesn't mimic the idle, confused, deluded games of the adults.

11. müteahhit's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

why do I not love this movie

12. HSBilly's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Rohmer's films never bored me. this philosophical romance film is no exception.

13. Jason's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Comedies and proverbs. Totally. We remain a comedy for the Gods. And God bless Pauline. At least the kid seems to basically get it. I find myself prematurely ancient, able to get a good purchase on this material now. I see this movie w/ the eyes of an anthropologist. I would like to think. I having nothing to do w/ the business on display ... until I do. Pure madness. That people actually hook up. Fascinating.

14. Christina Themeli's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

καλοκαιρινή ηθικολογία.

15. Adèle Vivet's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Une fable distrayante, où le jeu théâtral des acteurs se fond parfaitement dans ce vaudeville d'été.

16. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Three stars in the context of Rohmer's filmography; otherwise, four. (All measurements are arrived at using sensitive and carefully calibrated instruments pulled right out of my ass. I'm much more comfortable now, thanks for asking.) I defy you to identify a lighter-hearted, better-intended strain of wistful, pleasure-seeking cynicism about passion and self-deception in alla ze cinema. May be a bit wan for some.

17. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

18. Post Organic's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

The absurdity of human relations

19. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

20. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

21. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Eric Rohmer is one of the most intellectually stimulating filmmakers to ever live and I think it may be impossible to hate his films, Pauline at the Beach is no exception- it is typical Rohmer and <3!

22. Mark Commode's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

good film but not a touch on the green ray

23. bartkl's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

The characters and social-emotional interactions between them are Rohmer-worthy, yet this film pulls off to be a lot less dry than most of his films, making it accessible to many people who get bored by Rohmer's otherwise plain, slow, plot-light style. The topic of what makes people attract each other romantically is unusually exposed and universally interesting, and the plot develops well. One of Rohmer's best.

24. Cependant's rating of the film Pauline at the Beach

Imposture réaliste d'amourettes de vacances parisiennes sur les côtes nord-ouest.

← Previous 1 3 4