1. film_lies101's rating of the film Penance

Loses the plot a bit during the first half of the 4th episode, which felt like it belonged to another series altogether, The 5th episode probably drags on longer than it needs to, all in all though this was mostly riveting stuff

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Penance

Pour qui connaît l'univers particulier, voire soudainement sidérant et décalé de la plupart des productions de notre metteur en scène nippon Kiyoshi Kurosawa, cette faussement nébuleuse réalisation ne dépareille en rien des récurrentes obsessions qui peuplent la plupart de ses films. www.cinefiches.com

3. Maudy Puteri Agusdina's rating of the film Penance

Sakura Ando episode is the best one, the 2nd episode is the weakest of all. But as a whole movie, it is a great take on revenge flick, both visually poetic and dramatic (still think it will be much better not for television so the cinematography work can expose its artistic beauty).

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Penance

What sort of 'moron' blames little girls, and won't forgive them? What's up with the micromanaging of teachers? This suffers from bad writing. It takes a lot more effort than this to come up with a 'L'il Quinquin', or 'True Detective'. I don't know if the theatrical version is any better, but I can't imagine it is.

5. David Grillo's rating of the film Penance

Parts 1 to 3 are extraordinary, 4 is something new and 5 puts it all together and is everything I ever dreamed of from a K.Kurosawa film. Staring at the black screen once the credits rolled by and the music starts playing I retained its legibility all by myself in the dark the distinct feeling and atmosphere was no longer scary it felt more like communion just change the tone or the subject and your already there.

6. mlstrx's rating of the film Penance

loses its way a bit in episode 5, but everything else is absolutely incredible.

7. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Penance

8. riraru's rating of the film Penance

Lang(sam)er und beklemmender Film Noir, bedenklich moralisch und mit immer wieder hinreißenden Kamera-Einstellungen. Ich fühlte mich streckenweise an Fritz Lang erinnert und hier und da noch ein Schuß Fassbinder.

9. Nejishiki's rating of the film Penance

Five episode drama. Top moment was the Sakura Ando episode. The worst, the whole ending. Can't believe how he fucked up this one.

10. Jason's rating of the film Penance

I have seen the miniseries version, not the theatrical one, but I can assume they both demonstrate the same uneven character, the bookend segments delivering significantly greater dividends than the middle ones. Kiyoshi Kurowsawa is hardwired for this kind of tactile psychospiritual slow burn. Kyôko Koizumi is a force unto herself. I do not understand why it was shot on garbage video. Last hour or so: orgasmic.

11. Ostermyers's rating of the film Penance

TERRIFIC VIRTUOSE MASTERPIECE ! this is on another level, it's not about Japanese cinema, or even cinema anymore. It's so deep as an Antique tragedy !

12. msmichel's rating of the film Penance

TIFF '12 Too long a break from Kurosawa that has resulted in this incredible epic length picture orginally made as a miniseries for Japanese television. A school girl is murdered with 4 young witnesses unable to help in revealing the perpertrator. The overcome mother demands that each will deliver a penance of her choosing in the future. 15 years later we catch up with each young woman episode by episode. continued.

13. Corriel's rating of the film Penance

I saw this as two films. Both have a few cool ideas but are slow and boring way too often, and really look too much like a bad drama. I wonder how come it has been released for the theatres.

14. Slowart's rating of the film Penance

kurosawa tries to step into the territory of sion sono's epic "cinema of hysterics" - but fails / unfortunately / + 1 to ashizawa

15. Vinson Gabato's rating of the film Penance

If watched as a five part series, which should be, Penance is not your normal revenge flick. An exhaustive, character study on trauma, regret, and sadness.

16. Amy's rating of the film Penance

Review here: http://www.yam-mag.com/reviews/tv-reviews/shokuzai/

17. Mugino's rating of the film Penance

Kurosawa has crafted another unsettling yet poetic work that is part whodunnit, part treatise on the modern Japanese woman, with echoes of Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy. Although the formula of the series establishes itself from the first episode, it never fails to surprise, even when it appears to head toward predictable turns. The five women are phenomenal, especially Koizumi, Ando and Ikewaki.

18. onizuka83's rating of the film Penance

Welcome to the valley of the broken dolls...