1. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

Loved it. The dramatic scenes aren't quite up to the level of the musical numbers but they are more than continuity. They are emotional and sometimes touching. Missed opportunities: Christopher Walken should have done a whole musical, not just one number. He is sensational.

2. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

7.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2jN

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

This was a case of great casting. Steve is really able to sell those happy moments, which when revealed to be dreams just make the sadness more devastating. Big fan of Dennis Potter's work, particularly 'The Singing Detective'. The TV series, not the movie. This movie really helped develop an appreciation for the music of the time. I have so many songs from the soundtrack including Steve's version of the title.

4. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

"I'm curious what my reaction - not knowing the story - to the film wouldn've been." http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/10/episode-72-dennis-potters-pennies-from.html

5. DaisyJ's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

My dad rented this because he thought this might be a fun musical for the whole family. Man, was he wrong!

6. msmichel's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

A cavalcade of talent behind the camera adds a lot of visual flair to the lesser adaptation of the Dennis Potter source material. Great cinematography (Willis), set design (Adam), costumes (Mackie) and choreography put this over the top. Fairly well cast with kudos to Bernadette Peters who is aces here. What's missing compared to the TV mini is a greater sense of pathos, darkness and despair with hope underneath.

7. José Neves's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

cinematography by Gordon Willis.

8. Malik's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

Watch the miniseries instead.

9. caboholiday's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

This pic doesnt go with the movie! Its a pic from Sixteen Candles!

10. Matt's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

Err, how do I undo a rating on this site? I've never seen this movie, but I miss clicked and rated it three stars.

11. sandracine's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

Christopher Walken's GOTTA DANCE, and he's terrific.- a multi-talented guy. Those were desperate times to live in; the movies being an escape for a few hours, but the bleakness of their existence is their waiting for them, at the end of a film or a song. The milk of human kindness was as dried up as Oklahoma farmland. This was one of Steve Martin's first dramatic roles, and he played the part well.

12. Pierluigi Puccini's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

People trying to escape to a fantasy world where songs make up for the harsh reality they live in is a subject I find utterly appealing, even more if there is a lively, playful mastermind behind it to inject a good measure of black humour to the mix. Too bad Dennis Potter's amazing writing wasn't adapted to the silver screen by an equally sharp mind. But I pass things like that because I love the period and songs.

13. Pierre's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

It's just ok. Willis' cinematography plus the Walken dance numbers are the reason to see this one.

14. IA's rating of the film Pennies from Heaven

This film shouldn't work--Ross's glossy big budget approach goes against Potter's homemade musical intent, and Potter's script is just a digest of his great miniseries--yet it somehow holds together.