1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

This is the original film. 'Algiers' and 'Casbah' which have similar plots came later. It stars the marvelous Jean Gabin as the title character. Freedom or love. Which is more important? It has lots of action and gunplay. It's a bit overstylized in the way Pepe is photographed. They're trying to make him seem more of a legend, which they really don't have to. Gabin is a legend.

2. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Un des grands rôles du père Gabin, qui imposa sa stature légendaire et son flegme bourru au coeur tendre, à des générations de cinéphiles émerveillés... www.cinefiches.com

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

5. Chris's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

i'm all 3000 of pépé's widows

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

7. Log Lady's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

The way Pépé looks at her... Oh my. Not my favorite of the poetic realist films, but some scenes of the Moroccan streets are wonderful.

8. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

I love films like these: every one must play the game, even if the rules are somewhat absurd. One longs for love, one for home, and another for good memories. The stuff cinema was made for.

9. El Biffo's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

This film is so great, I can't even begin to tell you. I recommend it to anyone who loves cinema.

10. sophia's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

This is my favourite film of all time, excellently shot, Duvivier was a pioneer in many ways. Gabin is at his peak in this film, a brilliant performance that never fails to move me.

11. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Such a sexy film. Gabin and Balin are all over each other with their eyes. I love them in their other film together, "Gueule d'amour." He was one of greatest romantic actors in film history. Even playing opposite a man he was not afraid to show affection. Look at him in the final scenes in "Grand Illusion" opposite Dalio.

12. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Mireille Balin had a rough life ultimately, but for what it is worth, she won't be forgotten as long as anyone remembers this film.

13. lauli's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Astonishing. Heartbreaking. Gabin is memorable as a man who lords over the Casbah, but is trapped there at the same time. The characters are all castaways cut off from their roots and set adrift in a world where they don't belong. One of the best French films I've seen.

14. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Pépé le Moko

The supporting cast is fabulous and Gabin is ... Gabin. Highly recommended.

15. danhofstra's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Such a great, FUN (emphasis on fun) film. Gabin was amazing and that ending! Wow!

16. Anton Williams's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

17. Dave's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

Jean Gain in the 1930s? Absolute essential. Not his greatest film, but this one is a fun ride.

18. Ehsan Khoshbakht's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

19. Michel Kesterson's rating of the film Pépé le Moko

I can't get the ending out of my head! If this were an American film, Pepe would have screamed, Gaby would have heard him, and it would have been happy times in the Casbah. But this is poetic realism. Compares well with Le Jour Se Leve.