1. naokoken's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Soundtrack by Gabriel Scotti and Vincent Hänni was amazing. The aerial shots reminded me of the opening of Blade Runner crossed with abstract painting showing the landscape changes from the mining. "In the year we call 1783 two brothers named Montgolfier flew the first passengers suspended in a hot air balloon: a sheep, a rooster and a duck." The occasional titles and end narration distracted from pure audio-visual.

2. Leco's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

For a documentary 45min long with almost no commentaries I'd say this one's pretty fair. I was all the way struggling with myself: the imagery is quite mesmerizing with the accompanying soundscapes, but even though it's hypnotic we know this is real, we know this is happening all over the world. It's not beautiful. It's brutal. Tangible. And the question goes... what do we do now? How do we slow down? How do we stop?

3. John Woodall's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

A devastating view into a largely unrecognized environmental tragedy. The aerial perspective really gave me a powerful realization of just how big and absolutely real this is. As the film goes, I loved the music but really wasn't a fan of some of the digital editing and transitions. I would love to see a companion film that has more discussion and insight into everything that is going on here.

4. David R Williams's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

If one needed any further proof that industrialists are sociopaths...you need look no further than "Petropolis". Oh...we're destroying the Earth? Fuck it. We're getting paid.

5. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

The landscape is beautiful, surreal, twisted and dystopian. But the craziest thing is that it is completely real. The cinematography and after effects capture the scope of the tar sands and brings out moments of sheer excellence from it. There are politics, but they are never preachy. The only moment of voice over is affected and cryptic, the perfect topper to the deep and rich film. Absolute brilliance.

6. Cassandra Troyan's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

I was very high when I watched it, so I was especially memorized by the horror of this devastated landscape

7. jenesuispasanglais@gmail.com's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

I have mixed sentiments. Some of it is stunning, beautifully shot. Zoom-out shots effectively reveal the scope of destruction. Subtle use of music adds tension and conveys emotion that, while appropriate to the topics, are also a bit subversive in their own ways. Use of quotes seems random, and statistics are undocumented. This is a must-see, but I hesitate to call it a documentary. It is not quite balanced enough.

8. Dan's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

I never could have imagined the scale of the tar sands operation until I saw this. And this only showed 3% of the potential operations. Beautiful shots of such an ugly thing.

9. Landen Celano's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

The intent is crystal clear, but not long into the film the aerial photography gives everything a very surreal, almost Lynchian quality, and in a way takes on a sort of beauty of its own, which I can't help but feel undermines the purpose.

10. Omus's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

It's another mostly dialogue-free doc, but this one doesn't feel like a gallery piece. With minimal written info or narration, Petropolis uses stunning aerial photography to tell a simple, breathtaking story of the effects of tar sands oil production in the northern Canadian wilderness. The images are devastating. Many of the scenes would not have been out of place in Fury Road.

11. barleeku@comcast.net's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

The horror. Heart of darkness material. Cinematically it's crisp and the shots are well chosen, but its power is not in the film-making. It is critical documentation of the madness of today's society. This is our only energy choice? Looks like a penal colony on Mars. The images speak for themselves and there's probably enough toxicity there to poison all of Canada. Fukushima's twin.

12. brianwflood's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Hypnotic with unforgettable sound design

13. ronny's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

gorgeous, stunning, beautiful, incredible, mind-boggling... however, not perfect. the idea behind the "aerial perspective" is to allow us to fully comprehend the scale of the operation, but the minimal explanation, narration, and/or context limits the viewer's understanding. but it is visually and sonically stunning.

14. Stuart Young's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Dumbfounded by 'photography not engaging enough' comments and the like. Not only is it incredibly engaging, albeit harrowing, but it seems the point may have been entirely missed by a few people. 'Sorry I just prefer my environmental damage to have a bit more pizazz...'

15. Juan Correa S's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Lovely presented landscaping job on one of the most awful things we have done to the earth. There must be some way out of here.

16. Esteban Coppel's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Great way of looking in perspective the cost of our modern lives

17. El Biffo's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Good photography, not fabulous, but this film shows you what the Alberta Tar Sands looks like. Reporters and photographers are no longer allowed at the Tar Sands, so this is the film to see if you want to take a look at the eco-devastation that is underway. Jennifer Baichwal (MANUFACTURED LANDSCAPES, WATERMARK) recommended this to me, since she was prevented from filming the Tar Sands.

18. David Slotema's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

The images themselves where not engaging enough to keep me interested throughout. In comparison to Home Project by Yann Arthus Bertrand, this doc had a lot less annoying commentary, but it lacked in the visual imagery part. 3*

19. Cbarky99's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

-Who runs Canada? (with apologies to Allen Ginsberg)

20. Jonathan Miller's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

and this week, June 18th, is INTERNATIONAL DAY TO "STOP THE TAR SANDS"

21. Meredith Miller's rating of the film Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Showing at the VISIBLE EVIDENCE conference at NYU in August.