1. João R's rating of the film Phantasm

It stands out due to its distinctive eerie atmosphere, but it lacks coherence.

2. subtonal's rating of the film Phantasm

3. Mister No's rating of the film Phantasm

Nouvelle édition (ESC, 2017).

4. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Phantasm

One of the finest fantastical atmospheres in an American film of all time. The plot is often deemed as being confusing and taking a nightmare logic, while instead it mostly makes sense, especially when viewed as a metaphor about loss, mourning, and the acceptance of death (death, of which, is symbolized in the form of the Tall Man.) Phantasm is ultimately a masterful horror film, bursting with creative, dark fervor.

5. Joel's rating of the film Phantasm

Campy and corny... other than the nice soundtrack and some nods to atmosphere I honestly expected a lot more of this film. I know the budget was low but I for some reason was expecting some highly surreal elements. Instead it was the body snatchers with an alien twist. And a rather simple one at that. Not for me.

6. msmichel's rating of the film Phantasm

Coscarelli's '79 beginning to the series was an inventive example of imagination run amok brought to life with vitality and love of genre. Though made on an obvious challenged budget this is a far more memorable film than the studio's horror output of the time period. 'The Tall Man' and the spheres are now horror icons. Despite the amateur hour in performance and production value at times this transcends its limits.

7. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Phantasm

I have to watch this every couple of years. So many memorable scenes that are implanted in my brain. It's so good that you forgive the sequels because you just want to see more of it.

8. Rupert Hunter's rating of the film Phantasm

The tall man looks like... quite short.

9. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Phantasm

It took me way too long to watch this.

10. Michael Peer's rating of the film Phantasm

I'm not sure what's up with PHANTASM'S recent resurgence into popular culture or why J.J Abrams is all about it. This is a campy 70's B-movie that's ridiculous and not especially fun. At best I can by this as a guilty pleasure, but even at that, it's not very memorable. There's not much here that is inspiring or memorable. The plotting a wreck, the performances terrible... the score is pretty awesome though. Meh.

11. Post Organic's rating of the film Phantasm

12. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Phantasm

I really like the plot, not as much on the execution of it.

13. HKFanatic's rating of the film Phantasm

In horror, plot is arbitrary. Case in point: I'd be hard-pressed to tell you just what, if anything, "Phantasm" is about - and yet that takes nothing away from this masterwork of mood and atmosphere. Decades later, “Phantasm” remains one of the handful of American horror films that comes close to replicating the surreal, dream-like quality that filmmakers like Dario Argento and Mario Bava conjured during the 70's.

14. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Phantasm

Loose directing gives way to surrealistic editing. It's a mess that's clearly been embraced for it's flaws and half baked ideas.

15. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Phantasm

Bizarre and original. An adolescent boy's grieving process rendered as supernatural horror. Each scene develops its own particular brand of absurdity, and it’s all edited together in a disjointed, jarring way, suggesting the cognitive noise of a nightmare. The low budget seems to bolster the illusion. And, multiple references to Frank Herbert because why not?

16. Elif's rating of the film Phantasm

2 for the soundtrack 1 for the windy scenes

17. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film Phantasm

18. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Phantasm

19. JackButcher's rating of the film Phantasm

Budget B-Movie delight, very surreal and atmospheric in parts.

20. Richard Punch's rating of the film Phantasm

21. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Phantasm

Far exceeded my expectations for an atmospheric if derivative slasher. In short, the psychological subtext of the film is revelatory; the iconography of Gothic horror (even Italian horror) being used to disguise and inform what is in essence a coming of age drama; where the child's obsession with death (and inability to connect with life following the loss a beloved relative) finds expression in a macabre fantasy.

22. Amadeus Magnus's rating of the film Phantasm

23. Yass's rating of the film Phantasm

God I've been meaning to watch this one a long time ago. It's a great movie with this early 80's horror vibe that I kinda love. Not much dialogues, not much explanation. The way the scenario is written definitely looks like a one shot in a tabletop RPG.

24. lizle's rating of the film Phantasm

This movie is dumb and crud, but it still gave me the creeps, probably because HE gave me the creepies