1. lou.'s rating of the film Phantom Limb

Finally, Jay! The best one I've seen of yours. Excellent narration and beautifully painful the allegoric sheep-shearing scene. How to deal with grief and loss. I remember the poet saying: «the art of losing isn't hard to master / though it may look like (write it!) like a disaster.» #Bishop #poems

2. Chichago_'s rating of the film Phantom Limb

3. Melissa Anastasi's rating of the film Phantom Limb

So beautifully constructed. A profound meditation on grief. This film released a reservoir of tears.

4. matteo carini's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Wow. The Advice sequence is one of the best conceptual pieces I've ever seen

5. DrFirestone's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Random footage put together rarely works (like it did in the case of "Nine Lives"). Majority of Rosenblatt's work I have seen so far seems to be aimed to promote himself. The No. 8 "Advice" section contains the essence of the topic and is powerful. I feel if this short was centered around this portion, it could have been something truly memorable. Far too self-indulgent for my taste.

6. Lee Donowitz's rating of the film Phantom Limb

I liked it but it felt a little bit disjointed and all over the place. I was expecting a story about his brother (which it began with) but then it went off on a bunch of different tangents trying to fit too much in. I loved "No.8 Advice" set to some classical music and a slow mo sheep shearing scene!

7. TheOnomatopoeicMan's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Way too cinematic for me to get involved in this. Music? Symphonies? Fade outs? Freeze frames? Unnecessary plumage for what is obviously a painful personal confession. Facebook filmmaking.

8. guillermo's rating of the film Phantom Limb

I think that Jay Rosenblatt´s psychoanalyst might be not quite efficient. So much time, but the pain is still there, powerful. This film made me think that Rosenblatt is pure filmmaker, he compulsively needs to put his emotions inside films to process them. His jewish view of death reminded me the passion of Walter Benjamin, who also needed to put his emotions inside books -conceptually- to understand or try to.

9. Brenda Clews's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Precisely composed & shot, & despite Rosenblatt’s brilliance as a confessional filmmaker, the film didn’t, for me, touch the core of what grief is. I, too, have lost a sibling, and came away from the film feeling it was more an anatomy of the stages of grief. The story of his brother is too oblique, it’s not close enough. It seems, rather, as his response to this terrible loss when he was young, a film of guilt.

10. Elisabeth Brun's rating of the film Phantom Limb

heartbreaking, grief by association. there is one stand up, that breaks up the holistic form. otherwise, super nice, in a sad way.

11. Rizki Fachriansyah Aziz's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Rosenblatt found comfort in repurposing images of people in mourning because he believed that that was his right -- he is a rightful member of the human race, same as everyone. Phantom Limbs reveals itself as a cathartic, transcendent experience.

12. jacbruneau's rating of the film Phantom Limb

This is a strangely clinical, literal take on the grief process. For example, the section titled "Depression" was comprised entirely of footage from The Great Depression: poor-looking grown men scrounging for food in the garbage. Likewise, in "Phantom Limb": a man talks about his amputated arm. For a project that stems from such a personal place, it opts for generality over specificity.

13. Dag Kaszlikowski's rating of the film Phantom Limb

It’s a personal account of death and guilt. Overdone and indulgent most of the time, it gives you the ending you won’t forget. And isn’t it all about endings after all?

14. Étrange's rating of the film Phantom Limb

The intensity of the personal torrent on this movie has intensified the sense of Rosenblatt's cinematographic precision. The choice and editing of the images is unfaulted. The balance between the sequencing of the phases of loss and the metaphors through which they are expressed are both a work of precision and a challenge to the viewer. A pleasure as it entangles the viewer in the somberness of its subject matter.

15. Yash Bhati's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Some films are personal and then, there are films where the writer is pressingly close to his diary in a way that he could not resolve any 2 letters. A tale of self-pleasing/indulgence is what we get.

16. captainfez's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Finally, a Rosenblatt that feels like more than just randomised stock footage.

17. Garçon Manqué's rating of the film Phantom Limb

18. glhrmefc's rating of the film Phantom Limb

19. vdegener's rating of the film Phantom Limb

20. Epinephrin's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Still 6 or 7 to go. Horrible !

21. scarng03's rating of the film Phantom Limb

22. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Phantom Limb

Wow, truly powerful stuff. In this, short film director Jay Rosenblatt tells the story of how he experienced the death of his little brother through twelve different chapters, each representing a different aspect of the process of grief. This honestly tugged pretty damn hard at my heart-strings. Out of all his films that have been shown on Mubi lately, this is probably my favorite.

23. merve unsal's rating of the film Phantom Limb

24. Rex Freeman's rating of the film Phantom Limb

This is exactly the sort of inane, inconsequential, ingratiating, ineptly made drivel I thought joining Mubi would provide an escape from. Boy was I mistaken! Hoping for a better movie app in 2018.