1. Renton47's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

One of the angriest statements on the relationship between suits and artists, perhaps even more cynical as it chews up the inspiration's romance plot into male-gaze fantasy. Most fulfilling as De Palma chases Finley's manic slapstick through gorgeously coloured corridors, the music occasionally taking too much spotlight... Bring back the Beef! 3.5

2. Moh de Mansour's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

One of my favourite film ever, hands down!

3. Ethan's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

This is by far the best adaptation of Phantom of the Opera, in my opinion.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Entre comédie musicale, parodie du milieu de la musique rock américaine et référence fantastique... www.cinefiches.com

5. Sacha Raphard's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Une version très... différente de l'histoire du fantôme de l'opéra avec une touche de Faust et de Dorian Grey pour le moral. C'est très, très, très étrange, ça parle du milieu du spectacle, c'est un film des années 70, donc ça a pas peur d'être un peu graphique et c'est somme toute absolument génial.

6. Diderot's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

It's a not-terrible collection of references, from Faust to Psycho to Caligari, that boasts the first appearance of Suspiria-star Jessica Harper, but it's mostly just boring.

7. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Rewatched and re-loved. Masterpiece, one of my all time favorites.

8. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Seriously kitsch but quite original in the panorama of unconventional cinema. The film also contains a suprisinng mix of comedy, fantasies and horror. Slightly in the line of Ken Russell’s grotesque mythologies and fascination for transgressive genres, the burlesque and rock operas.

9. Fabiha's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

"Ink isn't worth anything to me."

10. msmichel's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Bizarre is an adjective that just begins to describe this strange phantasmagoria from Brian De Palma. Melding 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Faust' and rock opera the film is visually impressive but definitely a product of its times. I only had seen the film pan&scan before today and its projection certainly changed my opinion. The use of split images, wild camera movements and inventive technique was impressive.

11. Max Chervin's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Brilliantly campy and dark! An incredible soundtrack too Paul Williams has never been so terrifying :D

12. film_lies101's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Despite the variety of source material, this one of De Palma's lest derivative works. A fun midnight flick to watch with a group of friends on a weekend. Also, might be the first instance with a person wearing a grill

13. Cependant's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

14. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

15. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

16. James Mackin's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Phantom of the Opera meets Faust, meets the Picture of Dorian Gray. I love this film with a pure, distinct love.

17. Oh, hi Denny's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

18. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

I love the garish, goofy style here-- De Palma's most exciting film. I wish he had explored his unhinged side more in subsequent films.

19. bloodcurdlingsameness's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

For anyone that enjoys The Phantom of the Opera, the 70's, and analog synthesizers. I'll take this over The Rocky Horror Picture Show any day.

20. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Clásico en De Palma es recrear sus propias versiones de otros clásicos. "El fantasma del paraíso" se inicia como "El padrino", hace su puesta en escena de "Fausto", revisita "El fantasma de la ópera", dramatiza la escena de la ducha en "Psicosis". Todo esto además está construído sobre un musical, uno que es experimental. Mucho empuja para el drama o el terror, pero se aloja en la comedia excéntrica. Un filme osado.

21. yasdnil's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Phantom of the Opera meets Rocky Horror. Seriously, why aren't there midnight screenings of this? The ending was pretty poor, but it's still a fun watch.

22. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

De Palma buries a personal commentary on creative freedom & the exploitation of the artist beneath a post-modern blend of Goethe & Leroux, camp B-movie horror & exaggerated glam rock. The film works as both a vicious music "biz" satire & dazzling phantasmagoria, full of heightened emotions, bold imagery & clever storytelling. The intelligent, self-reflexive soundtrack by Williams is one of the films greatest assets.

23. Richard Punch's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

Look, Philbin. I am a professional. I have been in this business a long time. Now if I don't want to do a show, it's not because I got stage fright. It's because some creature from beyond doesn't want me to do the show. Now gangway.

24. William's rating of the film Phantom of the Paradise

"I know drug real from real real!"