1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Phase IV

Indulgent opening (like the original ending,) and the cut ending is abrupt. Yet, Phase IV doesn't go for the thrills of most killer insect films, but instead, a moody and atmospheric, subtle slow-crawl approach. These parts can be condensed, the characters are archetypes, but it doesn't spoon feed information, which is equally admirable and pretentious (odd for a nature amok film, but that's why it's worth watching.)

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Phase IV

Une station scientifique dans l'Arizona est investie par des fourmis dotées d'une intelligence surnaturelle ..... Etonnant et séduisant !

3. samuele90's rating of the film Phase IV

Visivamente bello bello. Non ci sta un filo logico o causale fra una roba e l'altra, ma in fondo anche sticazzi.

4. petit astronaute's rating of the film Phase IV

5. Violet Rien's rating of the film Phase IV

Even though you can save yourself this film, the first 5-10 minutes are worth watching. Wonderful close images.

6. Moses Lumpkin's rating of the film Phase IV

A lesson in macro photography and double exposure editing. It's visuals will make you forget it's shortfalls.

7. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Phase IV

From the days when SF meant experiment and not laser battles in space.

8. Domas's rating of the film Phase IV

9. antibody's rating of the film Phase IV

one of the best movies about ants there is!

10. Levent Güçer's rating of the film Phase IV

11. dave gunn's rating of the film Phase IV

An entomological sci-fi masterpiece, turning one ubiquitous creature into a threat on par with aliens. This is incredibly unique and, if you know much about ants, not far off from what they are capable of. The mixture of colors with the camerawork of a Discovery Channel piece makes this a one-of-a-kind experience. The original ending ( is worth seeing directly afterwards.

12. mpho3's rating of the film Phase IV

Criminally underrated. Tripped me OUT as a kid and now too. Phase IV is "one of the most beautifully photographed films, of any genre, ever made. Despite some amateurish elements, it has a significant wow factor. Middleham’s cinematography is absolutely stunning and there are moments in the film that are truly visionary." - Marc Campbell,

13. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Phase IV

Como era de esperar, un film visualmente alucinante, con una premisa estupenda donde las hormigas, por obra y gracia de un incidente cósmico, se vuelven la especie más inteligente de la tierra y empiezan a desafiar a la raza humana y todos los seres vivos en general. Las actuaciones se sienten flojas y el final resulta atropellado y anticlimático. Sin embargo, vale la pena verla.

14. film_lies101's rating of the film Phase IV

15. bencor's rating of the film Phase IV

"9:13. Personal note. When I was a little kid, my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once, when I was six, I did."-Max Cohen/ Beware the lost ending. Staring too long might have adverse effects as well.

16. Giles J Davis's rating of the film Phase IV

A precursor to Alien? Heavyweight Saul Bass' creeping story is a masterpiece threatening the audience with Commie Ants, the Apollo Program & Silent Spring. Watch in terror & psychedelia the opening 15 minute sequence where ants upstage the human cast with theory and benevolence - sacrificing themselves for the greater good completely overwhelming the human story in this oddity. The camera work & close-ups are sublime

17. mjgildea's rating of the film Phase IV

2 1/2 out of 5 stars. The allure of the Saul Bass direction credit quickly wore off after about 15 minutes of ants close ups. The effects were badly dated and the characters were blank. Despite the siege plot I've seen dozens of times before and the somewhat nonsensical ending I didn't mind it by the end. I guess I was expecting more out of Bass.

18. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Phase IV

19. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Phase IV

Saw this on It Came from Beyond Midnight, was pleasantly surprised.

20. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Phase IV

Lots of cool macro footage, an indistinct threat, and vague motivations, The movie seems to exist primarily as a framework to house the macro footage of ants.

21. This is Jake Kath's rating of the film Phase IV

Cool concept and some amazing visuals but not really much to say after that. I really just wish it stopped after the first 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes owned my ass and are the main reason I'm giving it three stars! Still, well worth at least one viewing

22. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Phase IV

Essentially a film about three morons who get taken hostage by ants. Boring, stupid, some (unintentionally) funny dialogue and not much else. However the footage of the ants was cool enough and well shot, the whole film really didn't do much for me.

23. davehalb's rating of the film Phase IV

I'm all for slow, low-key sci-fi but this was just boring, hokey, and largely nonsensical. It gets points for some originality and a few quite good sequences but this was a struggle to sit through.

24. Duncan Jones's rating of the film Phase IV

As might be expected from Mr. Bass, this film is at its best when dealing with miniature drama. The insect scenes are rather astonishing; surprisingly moving and lacking the documentary feel which, to me, seemed inevitable. The human scenes resemble something between The Thing and Solyaris, reflective and resigned yet desperate and mournful. Hardly, to my mind, a masterpiece, but check it out if it intrigues you.