1. Ieva Šukytė's rating of the film Philadelphia

It gets too touchy sometimes, especially at the end. The often used close-ups were the same is it was in Classical Hollywood era, which seemed a bit in the wrong place, and the operator could have chosen to shoot them differently. But I have to admit that the story moved me, and I think it was important film for LGBT community considering that people still looked at homosexuals as AIDS carriers.

2. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Philadelphia

Classic safe ground techniques for industrial cinema sanitising something 'difficult' by framing matters in a dramatically acceptable court case amid the melting reserve of a masculine lead (just to hold the hand even tighter). It's respectably muted, but it's not the broken ground it's claimed to be (firmly in the Disease of the Week mode) but for Hollywood I suppose a door ajar is better than expecting a barn door.

3. Blue Roses's rating of the film Philadelphia

4. Viginti_tres's rating of the film Philadelphia

A much messier and more interesting film than the Oscar prestige suggests. The scenes Demme skips and the ones he extends seperate it from the simple Awards-bait that it could have been. Yes, you'll cry, but the technical construction and humanised characters on both sides make it a more complex experience than most mere tearjerkers.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Philadelphia

>>> Premier film d'un major américain à traiter du sida, ce mélodrame au discours erroné, timide et hypocrite, ponctué des pires clichés, s'avère une déception. Mieux vaut revoir sur un sujet proche "Clins d'oeil sur un adieu"... www.cinefiches.com

6. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Philadelphia

better watch a documentary than this "give me an oscar" movie

7. Rebecca DeLucia's rating of the film Philadelphia

louder-than-ever score completely lacking in subtlety and moderation. thank you howard shore.

8. Conn Tubacu's rating of the film Philadelphia

9. lou.'s rating of the film Philadelphia

Great soundtrack. What a thrill that aria from Giordano's 'Andrea Chénier' by Maria Callas: "Fu in quel dolor / che a me venne l'amor / voce piena d'armonia / e dice: ne' miei occhi e il tuo cielo, tu non sei sola [...]"

10. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film Philadelphia

3.5 // maria callas scene!!! demme is so competent

11. Daniel Nejat-Aski's rating of the film Philadelphia

12. Chris's rating of the film Philadelphia

probably the most homophobe-accessible 'positive' gay movie i've seen with all the unapologetic slurs and jokes. denzel washington kissed his wife on the lips in like every scene they had together, all antonio banderas got to do was a forehead kiss in the hospital.. egh

13. richardlawrn's rating of the film Philadelphia

This film is extremely important - as many others that talk about this subjet - even nowadays, where aids doesn't debilitate one so quickly, but it does anyway. People just have the chance to live longer, if they get the right treatment, but we're far from a definitive cure for it, and what a shame! I know people who have been infected and live in excruciating pain even with medicine... it's a haunting nightmare.

14. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Philadelphia

Ngantuk saya, ngantuk...!!

15. Spencer Kenealy's rating of the film Philadelphia

+1/2. As has been mentioned here, it's a pretty simple story, but definitely not something to pass on. Strong performances by all, but the relationship between Hanks and Banderas is especially touching. Some very good moments.

16. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Philadelphia

17. Daniel Roque's rating of the film Philadelphia

Great performances everyone, from Tom Hanks to Denzel Washington! And I don't even like Denzel Washington.

18. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Philadelphia

19. AnnalieseVevo's rating of the film Philadelphia

Emotional but good. Really important for what it is and when it happened. Still mad that I read a review that called Antonio Banderas his "companion"

20. smeef's rating of the film Philadelphia

21. bitterMoo's rating of the film Philadelphia

22. Tendoza's rating of the film Philadelphia

Very safe, simple script. Elevated by good performances and sporadically flamboyant direction from Demme (opera scene is sick).

23. camille's rating of the film Philadelphia