1. Mugino's rating of the film Philomena

Kinda had to see it after Coogan crowed about it in "The Trip to Spain".

2. lou.'s rating of the film Philomena

I didn't enjoy this movie at all. Maybe I've some issue with Frears lately, I find his work too much — melodrama and prosaic. I haven't shed a single tear, which is quite uncommon for the sensitive soul I am.

3. Wellington's rating of the film Philomena

Judi Dench queen of everything.

4. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film Philomena

"damn catholics !" sweet n' sad story.

5. Maria Pia's rating of the film Philomena

6. Bernardo Crastes's rating of the film Philomena

It may be saccharine, but the lovely Judi Dench, great pace and terrific story, make it a very interesting (and even funny) "based on true events" sort of movie. Very touching.

7. James Mackin's rating of the film Philomena

It's perfectly serviceable, and seeing Steve Coogan talk shit about shit is always nice.

8. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Philomena

Anti-clerical, pro-abortion & pro-gay pamphlet served by an excellent cast, but weakened by a convoluted and melodramatic script. So it does'nt look much better than a (good) TV movie. === Pamphet anticlérical, pro-avortement & pro-gay servi par un excellent casting, mais desservi par un scénario alambiqué et mélo. Du coup ça ne ressemble plus qu'à un (bon) téléfilm.

9. Thomas's rating of the film Philomena

Gentle and tender, a sweet unhurried drama which captures the wonderfully warm, genuine chemistry between the two leads. Frears manages to balance a sensitive story without resorting to sentimentality.

10. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Philomena

11. caprica_six's rating of the film Philomena

A little schmaltzy in places, but Judi Dench is nevertheless a joy to watch.

12. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Philomena

13. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film Philomena

Every time I thought this film was going to crash and burn, whether it be a plot point or the way they handled delivering new information, they managed to get out of it. Judi Dench is great as well as Robbie Ryan's cinematography. It's a simple story, but I think the filmmakers handled the genre and character development very well.

14. filmcapsule's rating of the film Philomena

It's obvious to say "thoroughly middle-brow, but Judi Dench is great," and yet: ""thoroughly middle-brow, but Judi Dench is great." It ends up conforming to the genre of human interest, with all the attendant misgivings Sixsmith has for the form. There's just not enough formal or tonal sophistication to mine those misgivings.

15. Tomás Santos's rating of the film Philomena

16. camille's rating of the film Philomena

17. muh.'s rating of the film Philomena

(2.5) when you're trying to please everyone then you won't really please anyone.

18. Trunfos's rating of the film Philomena

19. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Philomena

So conventional. A movie meant to please everybody. Frears is getting old. And so conventional. Already forgotten.

20. Catarina Silva's rating of the film Philomena

21. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Philomena

22. Alex Ivănoiu's rating of the film Philomena

23. G. Gregorius Dewamanyu's rating of the film Philomena

Touching story with good drama and good script. I hope nuns will never be like that again.

24. Daniel Roque's rating of the film Philomena

Nuns are evil and a little bit of Philomena's hope is never too much. That's what I've learned.

← Previous 1 3 4