1. mpho3's rating of the film Phoenix

"Phoenix is a slow burn, perhaps, but it’s also a scorcher. Balancing narrative suspense and thematic complexity, [Phoenix] is a ... film of ideas that is also a film of emotions. " - Adam Nayman, Cinema Scope. WOW! Such a perfect film ending is rare. Of course Hoss's performance, but also Zehrfeld, Kunzendorf, Kogge make this. Petzold is one of my favorites. This is a daring film not many could make work. 4.5 stars

2. DenoResandono's rating of the film Phoenix

Actually, I was kinda confused - I didn't know about what I want to say about this movie. PHOENIX is slow & I'm sure everyone who have seen this movie would think so. Honestly, I'm fine a movie which has a slow-pace. In my opinion, the problem is that PHOENIX often loses its momentum. When it reached an important scene, I just felt - I don't know - plain, I guess. But I must admit, the ending is goddamn breathtaking!

3. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Phoenix

Phoenix seems to follow the character of Nelly, but the director identifies much more with Johnny, painstakingly chasing a reconstitution of the past. It is in those beautiful final moments they've both been working towards, where the truth surpasses fiction, that their artificiality stands most miserable.

4. Disa's rating of the film Phoenix

5. Ryan Christopher Coleman's rating of the film Phoenix

did you think Vertigo couldn't get darker?

6. C.B.L.S's rating of the film Phoenix

7. Ethan's rating of the film Phoenix

This is a tight little thriller with all the structure of a Hitchcock film but with more intimacy and heartbreak. Nina Hoss gives an incredible performance here.

8. Henrique Amud's rating of the film Phoenix

Sometimes the last scene can make or break a film and Phoenix's ending totally makes it worth it. Nina Hoss is really something else.

9. Babak Geranfar's rating of the film Phoenix

I was really hoping to watch something far from the the cliches about Post-Nazi era in the past year , and I`m lucky because i just saw caught off-guard. Nina Hoss is breathtakingly good and Petzold -her artistic couple - played along in a duet to reveal an emerging piece of mastery in storytelling. That Noir touch in the movie, tells you a lot. It is not common, it`s just Genius.

10. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film Phoenix

Every director has a Hitchcock in them, and here is Christian Petzold's. It's not wholly convincing - he doesn't quite pull of the necessary narrative leaps as well as Hitch would, and is certainly more suited to the lower-key shocks of his earlier 'Barbara' - but this is fine entertainment, and Hoss and Zehrfeld are clearly having fun.

11. Karl J. Kipling's rating of the film Phoenix

12. Diderot's rating of the film Phoenix

There seem to be a lot of people who really want to see this as an allegory. It's not an allegory (even if it's meant to be one). It's about some very real questions faced by a woman and a nation that has experienced a trauma. And it's brilliant in its simplicity.

13. Mohammad Ebrahimian's rating of the film Phoenix

14. Druvis Cukurs's rating of the film Phoenix

At least they knew how to end it. 2.5-ish

15. marinos@agxivatein.com's rating of the film Phoenix

The photography and direction is very good: immersive and submissive at the same time. Yet I've found the story rather naive and somewhat superficial. I understand that realism is not the point here, but I've found certain things irritatingly exaggerated and artificially romanticised.

16. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Phoenix

17. Mário Xavier's rating of the film Phoenix

Great ending. The rest... not memorable.

18. kubrickhallway's rating of the film Phoenix

Precisely directed, oddly surrealistic corker with a closing sequence that will leave you still in your seat.

19. Aardsy's rating of the film Phoenix

A beautiful look at denial and pain.

20. milkfloat's rating of the film Phoenix

That ending will haunt me forever.

21. James Mackin's rating of the film Phoenix

22. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Phoenix

CINEMA _ This german "Vertigo" is a clever film, never promoting its settings or costumes (like a TV film would have done), and led by two amazing actors. She is almost a ghost, without a face and with the body of another where he is a strong and authoritative presence. A story about seeing and not seeing - or refusing, with an emotional finale (which reminded me somehow of the great last scene of "Tokyo sonata").

23. Amandio Filipe Moura's rating of the film Phoenix

The last scene is an emotional knockout

24. Polyglot's rating of the film Phoenix

dat piano ending tho, daymn. 3.5 Stars.

← Previous 1 3 4