1. Aaron C Jones's rating of the film Pickpocket

Marvelous film. The first pickpocket sequence at the Longchamp had my heart racing, but then Bresson steps back and forces you to come to him.

2. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Pickpocket

3. Walker's rating of the film Pickpocket

Bresson's films are always those of transformation. How the phenomenologically specific and precise can eventually open up to suggest so much more. Moving.

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Pickpocket

5. Ben Nash's rating of the film Pickpocket

6. Roy Deckard's rating of the film Pickpocket

It's like Dostoyevsky meets Camus and they get high. But it's not the good weed. And now they just sit there, staring at each other, having a verbalistic discussion on morality.

7. gld48's rating of the film Pickpocket

Having looked at a wide range of reviews on here, I'm shocked to find that no one mentions the sheer deliciousness of the sound of everyone's footsteps in this movie as their shoes connect with the Parisian pavements. That alone is three stars. One star for the gorgeous photography and framing, moral questions it raises etc. But see it mostly just for the audio of everyone walking around.

8. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Pickpocket

Poignant Bresson on a man driven to become a pickpocket. There’s beauty to be found in this simplistic film that lacks sentimentality and begs the viewer to find empathy.

9. v.'s rating of the film Pickpocket

руки словно живые люди. у них есть собственный разум и собственная воля. часто они следуют туда, куда мы их не направляли.

10. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Pickpocket

11. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Pickpocket

After making a jailbreak film - which is a genre in and of itself - Bresson goes ahead and makes some sort of minimalist film noir in the streets of Paris. But Bresson is not interest in the violence or the spectacle; Pickpocket is pure crime theory. It is a true "action" movie, the "action" being those nimble hands that take detach themselves from the characters and their morals. The prototypical New Wave film.

12. bryanvmh's rating of the film Pickpocket

This movie is pretty gay. I liked it.

13. James Mackin's rating of the film Pickpocket

Made the act of picking a pocket incredibly fascinating to watch. Probably my favourite Bresson. Or as Paul Schrader says, Bress-un.

14. dordairobert's rating of the film Pickpocket

15. steeeeellaaaaa (Iulia N)'s rating of the film Pickpocket

the plot is straight out of crime and punishment and i can't get behind the style, i'll probably revisit this in years but for now i don't get it

16. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Pickpocket

When mainstream directors do what Bresson does here, they're mediocre. When the former does it,its art. I'm referring to the poorly written story; the cardboard cutout characters, who have no complexity, real connections or emotions - how can we care about what happens to them?; the stilted dialogues & amauterish-looking acting. Sure, that's Bresson's way of directing actors. I don't like it. (continues)

17. LibertyCapz's rating of the film Pickpocket

Just like every other cookie-cutting doofus that's ever written anything on this film I just have to jerk off a bit to Bresson's extreme attention to detail, particularly on the main character's gestures and hands. Pretty amazing stuff.

18. FISCHER's rating of the film Pickpocket

Une oeuvre proche de l'épure qui risque de rebuter par sa tranchante austérité... www.cinefiches.com

19. Catarina Monteiro's rating of the film Pickpocket

20. Anastasija Mass's rating of the film Pickpocket

The synopsis here is not matching the content of this film..

21. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Pickpocket

3-4. Restrained and clear with mostly minimal physical circumstances, but a comparatively complex meaning. I think it's a much more balanced movie than Au Hazard Balthazar, answering the concept of the 'superman' with austere spirituality and turning the contrast into internal conflict for the main character. I can see why it is so loved as a film.

22. ughchenausea's rating of the film Pickpocket

23. smndvdcl's rating of the film Pickpocket

"One does not create by adding but by taking away". Kindred spirits lie in Ozu to de Sica, Bresson's sparky but mundane depiction of a Parisian pickpocket is masterful. A film of grace, mundanity and ineffable beauty.

24. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Pickpocket

I'm feel a little guilty that I'm not loving Bresson. I'm a cinephile, aren't I supposed to worship him as one of the demigods of motion pictures? I just have a hard time connecting. Maybe it's the anti-acting (which I understand the point of), but something isn't clicking. Like Au Hasard Balthazar, I'm just not very moved.

← Previous 1 3 4 5