1. Roy Deckard's rating of the film Pickpocket

It's like Dostoyevsky meets Camus and they get high. But it's not the good weed. And now they just sit there, staring at each other, having a verbalistic discussion on morality.

2. gld48's rating of the film Pickpocket

Having looked at a wide range of reviews on here, I'm shocked to find that no one mentions the sheer deliciousness of the sound of everyone's footsteps in this movie as their shoes connect with the Parisian pavements. That alone is three stars. One star for the gorgeous photography and framing, moral questions it raises etc. But see it mostly just for the audio of everyone walking around.

3. verba's rating of the film Pickpocket

руки словно живые люди. у них есть собственный разум и собственная воля. часто они следуют туда, куда мы их не направляли.

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Pickpocket

5. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Pickpocket

After making a jailbreak film - which is a genre in and of itself - Bresson goes ahead and makes some sort of minimalist film noir in the streets of Paris. But Bresson is not interest in the violence or the spectacle; Pickpocket is pure crime theory. It is a true "action" movie, the "action" being those nimble hands that take detach themselves from the characters and their morals. The prototypical New Wave film.

6. bryanvmh's rating of the film Pickpocket

This movie is pretty gay. I liked it.

7. James Mackin's rating of the film Pickpocket

Made the act of picking a pocket incredibly fascinating to watch. Probably my favourite Bresson. Or as Paul Schrader says, Bress-un.

8. dordairobert's rating of the film Pickpocket

9. steeeeellaaaaa's rating of the film Pickpocket

the plot is straight out of crime and punishment and i can't get behind the style, i'll probably revisit this in years but for now i don't get it

10. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Pickpocket

When mainstream directors do what Bresson does here, they're mediocre. When the former does it,its art. I'm referring to the poorly written story; the cardboard cutout characters, who have no complexity, real connections or emotions - how can we care about what happens to them?; the stilted dialogues & amauterish-looking acting. Sure, that's Bresson's way of directing actors. I don't like it. (continues)

11. FISCHER's rating of the film Pickpocket

Une oeuvre proche de l'épure qui risque de rebuter par sa tranchante austérité... www.cinefiches.com

12. Catarina Monteiro's rating of the film Pickpocket

13. Anastasija Mass's rating of the film Pickpocket

The synopsis here is not matching the content of this film..

14. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Pickpocket

3-4. Restrained and clear with mostly minimal physical circumstances, but a comparatively complex meaning. I think it's a much more balanced movie than Au Hazard Balthazar, answering the concept of the 'superman' with austere spirituality and turning the contrast into internal conflict for the main character. I can see why it is so loved as a film.

15. ughchenausea's rating of the film Pickpocket

16. smndvdcl's rating of the film Pickpocket

"One does not create by adding but by taking away". Kindred spirits lie in Ozu to de Sica, Bresson's sparky but mundane depiction of a Parisian pickpocket is masterful. A film of grace, mundanity and ineffable beauty.

17. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Pickpocket

I'm feel a little guilty that I'm not loving Bresson. I'm a cinephile, aren't I supposed to worship him as one of the demigods of motion pictures? I just have a hard time connecting. Maybe it's the anti-acting (which I understand the point of), but something isn't clicking. Like Au Hasard Balthazar, I'm just not very moved.

18. starless's rating of the film Pickpocket

Serbest bir Suç ve Ceza uyarlaması olduğunu bilmeden izlediğim, sinemada önemli bir yeri olduğu söylenen ama maalesef beni hayal kırıklığına uğratan film. Neden bu kadar methedildiğini anlamadım. Michel'de kesinlikle bir Raskolnikov derinliği olduğunu düşünmüyorum. Bresson'ın sade yönetmenliği güzel olsa da oyunculuklar oldukça zayıftı. Jeanne karakterini oynayan Marika Green 60'ların Natalie Portman'ı resmen. 3/5

19. Blumes's rating of the film Pickpocket

"Do you believe in nothing?"

20. ninchok's rating of the film Pickpocket

Not very enthusiastic about watching the film, towards the middle I was completely enamoured with it. Bresson makes everything, even/especially thievery, appear so gentle, gracious and emotional, that pickpocketing, an absolute mastery of hands, so well captured in the film, becomes equivalent to piano playing. And the film ends with a mesmerizingly beautiful scene that encompasses purity and romance at its best.

21. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film Pickpocket

I fear I'll never like a Bresson film as much as "A Man Escaped". Still, the titular pickpocketing scenes are thrilling and the whole movie is beautifully staged and photographed. The non-acting technique didn't really affect me as deeply as some viewers, I empathise with Michelle's plight at all, and the ending declaration of love really came out of nowhere.

22. Cihan Ünsal's rating of the film Pickpocket

23. ceknklsn's rating of the film Pickpocket

24. elif jazel's rating of the film Pickpocket

great camera work. actually its a great classic except acting. i'm not impressed by this acting-style at all.

← Previous 1 3 4 5