1. Honeychurch's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

very nice vintage abs. why is no one talking about them?

2. G.'s rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

Girls are terrific. Five stars for Nenette.

3. Nick Potter's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

My Renoir knowledge is still blooming, but the delightful Picnic On The Grass is making a case for being one of my favorites. There's quite a bit more going on underneath the surface, but that top level is rather enjoyable as well.

4. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

The countryside and lazy feel in here should be argument enough to watch it. But it's also a great and singular comedy about countryside and modern times.

5. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

6. Jeffrey's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

Renoirs silly yet philisophical film touches on modern issues and taboos. A famous scienctist pushes the idea of artificial insemination to eliminate the need for courtship among people and elevate mating to purely sport. When he falls in love with a woman seeking a child wo/ a mate based on his theories, the argument between science and spirit find a different perspective.

7. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

A very light and silly sex comedy. High spirited and farcical at times, this french romp is pretty harmless. Not sure I've ever watched a light-hearted comedy revolving around artificial insemination.... but now I have. It's very much simplistic in tone and mood. Kind of reminded me of a combination of ideas from Shakespeare's "The Tempest" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

8. Diderot's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

An overlooked masterpiece of modern cinema whose genius has likely been overshadowed by its contemporaneity with the emergence of the New Wave. But this movie already points to directions Godard would move in his more radical periods, anticipating not the New Wave itself, but many of its later tangential derivations (including the theatrical films of Alain Resnais).

9. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

I don't know that I'd count it among Renoir's best, given its didacticism, and the way it kind of stigmatizes artificial insemination, a practice that's now considerably common. But the characters are colorful, and this is the first Renoir film I've seen that had a completely happy ending. So it is, overall, a charming, easily watchable film.

10. Superfrog's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

A bit too didactic for its own good. But an efficient reflection on the totalitarian potential of a scientifically justified totalitarian politics. Also, it is just easy to watch. I guess it would fit the trend of art as popular education.

11. Artem Eihart's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

12. José Neves's rating of the film Picnic on the Grass

Cinematography by Georges Leclerc.