1. Martijn de Vos's rating of the film Picture of Light

I’m very glad I got to know Mettlers style of filmmaking with this documentary. It seems like a very distinct style, and I still need some time to make up my mind about the things I like about it. Nevertheless, the sounddesign and music are phenomenal.

2. Ruben's rating of the film Picture of Light

Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed by the narrative style of Mettler's Voice-over. Sometimes it is fitting just right though. All in all a great watch, to meditate on life by the help of something as visually magical as the auroras.

3. Ludovic72's rating of the film Picture of Light

Partis "à la recherche du merveilleux" dans le grand Nord canadien, Peter Mettler et ses acolytes l'ont effectivement trouvé à Churchill, non loin du Nunavut. D'abord dans les étranges paysages formés par la neige et ses tempêtes, puis dans les lumières féeriques et toujours changeantes des aurores boréales. L'accord (contemplatif) entre les images, les textes et la musique arrive à transmettre une certaine magie.

4. Catherine Abecassis's rating of the film Picture of Light

5. Florent Bayard's rating of the film Picture of Light

Un documentaire fascinant qui ausculte les phénomènes naturels les plus surréels qui soient, les aurores boréales. L'aspect "making off" du documentaire ne fait que sublimer le phénomène naturel extraordinaire. C'est aussi un beau portrait d'une communauté humaine évoluant dans un paysage éprouvant.

6. AlineD's rating of the film Picture of Light

7. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Picture of Light

8. Gioele's rating of the film Picture of Light

Non mi ha convinto pienamente

9. EdieEmm's rating of the film Picture of Light

I have a deep, I'd say spiritual connection to the aurora. I've gone North to photograph them. They've moved me to tears. And yet, I wasn't crazy about this doc. The narration felt just a bit banal for the subject matter, the location, the people... Still, beautiful, and not unenjoyable. The footage of the lights was extraordinary. 3.5

10. mciszczon's rating of the film Picture of Light

I just love these prayer-style-documentaries!

11. msmichel's rating of the film Picture of Light

2017 re-master. Mettler's unique and enthralling documentary sets out to capture the aurora borealis but also captures man's relationship with nature and winter along the way and perhaps a portion of the Canadian identity as well. As fascinating now as it was on release in '94. Interesting to see that both Catherine Martin and Ingrid Veninger worked on this before becoming directors themselves.

12. Pedro's rating of the film Picture of Light

13. panagiotatos's rating of the film Picture of Light

7,5/10 a rather slow paced doc, but still efficient in depicting the mystery of the natural phenomena

14. dreamseed's rating of the film Picture of Light

All through the movie I was reminded of Glenn Glould's reflections on The North. Snow is mystical from afar, from up close it starts becoming something else. And so too light, once its been hunted down on film. Who bothers to register wonder at such cost these days? I can only feel grateful, clever intellect seems a pretentious demand from such an effort as this film.

15. fearraigh's rating of the film Picture of Light

It’s a ruminative, circular piece of cinema that doesn’t underscore any profound insights but it’s pleasant and interesting and does justice to an intriguing liminal region.

16. captainfez's rating of the film Picture of Light

Soporific, but not as intended.

17. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film Picture of Light

The right movie to watch while in Thailand haha

18. DrFirestone's rating of the film Picture of Light

This early Peter Mettler's document already shines, it has that unique style, where both the visuals and narration are hypnotisingly poetic yet it still presents us enough scientific facts to carry considerable educational value. The landscapes are truly majestic, the analogue cinematography is top class. Striking, enchanting, with a sublime note of nostalgia. Excellent!

19. malbrown2's rating of the film Picture of Light

This movie is interesting in a historical sense. It would also be interesting to have the same crew or someone else go back to this town and see what has changed since this movie was made. Now that would be fascinating.

20. guillermo's rating of the film Picture of Light

Beautiful and smart. This film reminds us how close beaty and death are. In the war of nature against human civilization, of course that nature wins, civilization becomes a weak dream. In this philosophical film, even society means too little, a futile experiment of snow entering to a hotel room through a hole in the wall. Great film.

21. tinderness's rating of the film Picture of Light

Über die Realität und die Bilder und die Nordlichter - als es die virtuellen Welten noch nicht gab.

22. Liliana Fotu's rating of the film Picture of Light

Poezie în imagini și sunete, mulțumesc Peter Mettler, mulțumesc MUBI!

23. Rui's rating of the film Picture of Light

Some interesting footage, but the narration is filled with platitudes and the pace is excruciatingly slow (but misses its intended effect, as it lacks any real content to be contemplative). 2.5. His other documentary now on Mubi, End of time, is infinitely better.

24. Jane de Deus's rating of the film Picture of Light

"The Pursuit of Wonder" I can't really say this was a 5 star film. Even if there are parts I liked more than others, you either love the world you enter or your don't. I did. That's what the 5 means. Came late to Mettler's work, but am grateful for it.