1. El Biffo's rating of the film Pitfall

4.2 Solid Film Noir by Andre De Toth (Crime Wave). The acting isn't great here, although Raymond Burr is suitably detestable and Lizabeth Scott is a dish and a half. And some of the Mid-Century Hollywood conventions...did the Hayes Code require that married couples have separate twin beds? So dumb. But whatever; this film's got momentum and never skips a beat.

2. Balthaz21's rating of the film Pitfall

3. L'immoralistee's rating of the film Pitfall

4. ZYNAB's rating of the film Pitfall

lizabeth scott didn't deserve all that...i'm going to read the book and hope she fares better and the men fare worse in it!

5. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Pitfall

Good film, not very noir-ish, though, more like a drama of a man in his midlife crisis. Lizabeth Scott has a great voice!

6. SpacePirate's rating of the film Pitfall

Pitfall is a blast. What an unsung little gem. I always love catching a great noir I havent seen yet. Scott and Powell have both been in several top notch noirs, but this may be the best either were in (although Murder My Sweet is pretty damned perfect). Throw in Burr as a creepy stalker ex cop and you have a film thats a bit Double Indemnity meets...well Im not sure off hand. Oh well, great stuff. 4.5 stars

7. film_lies101's rating of the film Pitfall

Raymond Burr does well at being a complete creep

8. Tendoza's rating of the film Pitfall

Vertically built frames, with lots of horizontal lines! De Toth's direction is economic, but the script is pretty bad, squandering themes of corrupted domesticity with poor dialogue and characterizations. Powell also turns in a pretty weak lead performance, makes me wish the flick was about Burr.

9. Log Lady's rating of the film Pitfall

Not impressed. Powell looks bored, Scott is decent (just not femme fatale material), and direction and cinematography are both unmemorable. Obviously I've seen worse, but I just wasn't interested enough of the trials and tribulations of an unsatisfied family man.

10. mjgildea's rating of the film Pitfall

Pitfall is the reason I sit through any movie that even claims to have noir-like tendencies. For as many weak noir imitators as I've seen (after making it through the greats) I'll find one such as Pitfall that keeps me searching through the wreckage. Pitfall looks like a noir even if it doesn't entirely act it (sorry, despite the ending Lizabeth Scott was too kind to be a femme fatale) but is S O worth the watch.

11. Dave's rating of the film Pitfall

This film needs a DVD release. The direction from de Toth and cinematography from Harry Wilds are far from groundbreaking. On the whole, de Toth’s direction has a detached feel to it. He puts the camera in the best place to take in the action and then just lets things unfold. It works though, because the three lead performances come close to being career bests. In my top 20 for all time noirs. It's that good.

12. Pulpwino's rating of the film Pitfall

So glad I could finally see this film at the NoirCity Festival in San Francisco last Friday; hopefully we'll get a dvd soon!