1. FISCHER's rating of the film Pitfall

Une étrange et fascinante distanciation prise avec le récit (les morts se "réveillent" et commentent l'action du film) sur fond de réalisation percutante, voire parfaite... www.cinefiches.com

2. Eirianedd's rating of the film Pitfall

As it came from the novels of Ladislav Kíma. The ghost detective story. "Obešel já polí pět..."

3. Aardsy's rating of the film Pitfall

Strange, frustrating and powerful.

4. Mx Nihil's rating of the film Pitfall

"The dead only upset themselves by worrying about the living."

5. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Pitfall

Even in a world with an afterlife consisting of ghosts wandering the Earth, invisible to the living, even with their ability to observe things after they are gone, you still don't always get the answers you want. Or any answers at all for that matter. The living have enough difficulty figuring out what's going on.

6. jonijtr's rating of the film Pitfall

First Teshigahara-Abe collaboration, great story, but didn't hold me too much, weak compared to their another collaboration

7. Kevin Costner's rating of the film Pitfall

Must a man become a demon just to survive ?

8. HSBilly's rating of the film Pitfall

9. Muraki's rating of the film Pitfall

the sad thing is, the kid has seen the other man killed while he was thinking that he's his father (he has never seen or thought that his real father died in the first place)

10. Brandon Nowalk's rating of the film Pitfall

The murder is the last thing that hits, and the rest is an airy Greaser's Palace. Possible it's deliberately so, but that doesn't give the film any more weight.

11. slaepwerigne's rating of the film Pitfall

"there has to be a reason to kill a man!"

12. JM M----'s rating of the film Pitfall

Teshigahara, Abe, and Takemitsu, oh my.

13. Andrei Herea's rating of the film Pitfall

Throughout history numerous artists have tried through their work and musings to uncover the meaning of life. This film on the other hand portrays characters in a desperate search for any sort of meaning they can attribute to their deaths. It's a gruesome and absurd process but as in life, there is no answer.

14. A47's rating of the film Pitfall

Sick people driven mad by work. Wow, what a great opening sequence. A strange mix: some scenes are played and filmed completely natural, while others are much more elevated and cinematic. The really brilliant parts are the hypnotic interjections between the two. Loved the score. "Everyone knows they bait the line...A slow tailspin to the pits of hell, where you crash and burn." This one has all my favorite elements.

15. Vicky's rating of the film Pitfall

Great. Really reminded me of Beckett and Kafka in its exploration of human powerlessness and bureaucracy, especially with the political context in mind. Visually it's meticulously composed, and in a similar way as Antonioni (a contemporary), Teshigahara juxtaposes natural landscapes with man-made structures really well. Also, some great use of superimposition and swish pans to mix the surreal with the social realism.

16. David Huxley's rating of the film Pitfall

Teshigahara's feature film debut (with a screenplay which Kobo Abe adapted from his stage play) is somewhat meandering at the beginning until the story kicks up a notch at about the 20 minute mark when the main character is murdered. That's not really a spoiler, because that's when the ghosts start appearing, and what follows is a very intricately plotted tale with a less enigmatic conclusion that his later films.

17. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Pitfall

Compelling,unpredictable and more than a ghost story.For those who have a serious interest in cinema,willing to make their own interpretation.

18. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Pitfall

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I liked the ghost story, but the political portions of the film were pretty boring. It has some great moments, but it doesn't reach the level of intensity or artistry that the two other films in the box set do. But for a debut, damn, is this some good stuff.

19. Daniela's rating of the film Pitfall

Not as good as Sunna no Onna but still has some good moments. Another interesting female character. These films remind me of Ace in the Hole . . . cross national connection/influence?

20. ativangelist's rating of the film Pitfall

To me it was very reminiscent of Herk Harvey's 'Carnival of Souls'. Similar juxtapositions of existence and non-existence, enigmatic omniscient presence haunting the protagonists, leading them to their demise. The experimentally thematic use of sound.. ..had the same mesmerizing effect in both films, made worlds apart, in the same year, exploring similar themes in a similar fashion. It's quite amazing.

21. paul anderson's rating of the film Pitfall

A visually striking film that also fully engaged me emotionally, with moments of humour small and true. I went to bed thinking about it and got up today still thinking about it and I'm pretty sure it influenced whatever made up my dreams in between. Terrific.

22. Zachary Curl's rating of the film Pitfall

i still can't believe this was his first film!

23. All Is Grace's rating of the film Pitfall

The first film I watched from Japanese New Wave, and it was great.

24. julianross12's rating of the film Pitfall

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/film_programme/august_seasons/shinjuku_diaries_films_from_the_art_theatre_guild_of_ja The film will be screened at BFI Southbank as part of Shinjuku Diaries: Films from the Art Theatre Guild season (1st - 31st Aug) Screening on 2nd introduced by Go Hirasawa