1. Vince Iuliano's rating of the film Playing Cards

2. Derrin the Writer's rating of the film Playing Cards

it actually looks like something I'd view for the authentic feel. I wouldnt expect much from the acting or anything though.

3. spartacula's rating of the film Playing Cards

smokes, women, booze, cards... some things never change.

4. Drew Millay's rating of the film Playing Cards

5. Ronald's rating of the film Playing Cards

I loved the part with the cards.

6. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Playing Cards

Made before films began bothering with things such a plot, this very early short is a single shot of a group of men playing cards. Historically interesting for its attempt at color, with various articles of clothing colored in by hand.

7. Kenji's rating of the film Playing Cards

A reminder not only of the Lumieres and Melies but of Pagnol's delightful characters in his Marseille trilogy

8. Misho's rating of the film Playing Cards

"We should play card and get drunk"

9. Brotherdeacon's rating of the film Playing Cards

This group has been enjoying themselves for 115 years, sitting outside on a lovely day, smoking their favorite pipes, playing cards, filling up thousands of glasses of wine from that single carafe and pretending not to notice their friend cranking the camera about 5 feet away. No one gets bored, drunk, or worries about work on Monday ever again. What a day!

10. Beneezy's rating of the film Playing Cards

I want to play cards with them and take a shot of whatever they were taking :p

11. runfromfire's rating of the film Playing Cards

I find these old clips fascinating. No one had thought to tell stories with film yet and so everything from the first few years of cinema is essentially documentary (and once they started telling stories all they really did was adapt Vaudeville at first). The colorization of this clip is interesting as well. Watch the color waver from frame to frame. At one point the woman is in black and white for a single frame.

12. Gordon Buno-Basire's rating of the film Playing Cards

The snippet is highly enjoyable. As it is a "slice of life", it is whimsical and shows its subjects engaged in that uniquely human joie de vivre. The painstaking hand-tinting of certain objects in the film can be contrasted to the carefree card party. Think of the patience and skill it took to tint not just the immobile vest, hats and dress, but the wine! The efforts and work of the hand that make life a joy!

13. Christofer Pierson's rating of the film Playing Cards

Kadylady, there probably was no plot. The Lumieres were documentarians, so this was probably just a slice of life. What made this unusual and novel, I'm guessing, was the hand-tinting, which gives a fuller illusion of life. But I doubt this was the first film with that feature. Personally, I enjoy seeing images of a real moment (staged as it may be) from 113 years ago.

14. Jed Pike's rating of the film Playing Cards

15. KadyLady's rating of the film Playing Cards

....What was the point of this film? It was interesting...but no clear plot. Maybe I'm just dense.

16. Canaletto's rating of the film Playing Cards

Y las viejas siguen teniendo el mismo rol que hace 100 años… “vieja sírvenos unos tragos que pa eso te traje”…. aaaa raza.