1. DSPRKY's rating of the film Policeman

The film's title and narrative structure indicate that the movie isn't about the depicted conflict. Rather, the camera's focus on women strongly suggests a deeper social theme. However, this really isn't enough to ground the film. The second act is devoted to characters who are essentially caricatures intended to bring the real lead to the director's intended conclusion. Still, not an unpromising debut feature.

2. Diderot's rating of the film Policeman

A strangely sexy movie about police and leftist terrorists in modern Israel. It moves and confuses in bizarre ways.

3. Jason Kim's rating of the film Policeman

Was I supposed to hate every character in this film? I didn't care for any of them, and if I had to hear the "its time for the poor to get rich" speech one more time, I would've thrown my computer out the window.

4. Marco Della Motta's rating of the film Policeman

A powerful and gripping film. Two divides separated by a chasm of hate, ignorance, and incomprehension.

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Policeman

Not particularly impressed. Fine performances all around but there's a coldness of direction that fails to take us beneath the surface. The motives of the "terrorists" are murky to say the least. Other than the Yiftach Klein character the rest are either placeholders or so lightly sketched as to barely exist.

6. mpho3's rating of the film Policeman

While Lapid's film has some strengths, I'm puzzled by the story's structure. Are we meant to compare and contrast these equally extreme groups of Israelis, or the Yaron-Amir and Shira-Oded duads? I just think the story could have been told differently. 3.5 stars

7. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Policeman

Sssslllloooowwww!!!! There might be a good ten-minute movie in here, but after a half hour, I had only seen two minutes of it. I cut my losses at that point.

8. Joe Pryweller's rating of the film Policeman

Life and death are at th heart of Lapid's film, and he creates a mise en scene of passion and heartbreak in a country where danger is always a shadowy presence. Life for the policeman's pregnant wife contrasts with the death meted out on the job. The young terrorists share passion for a good cause but want to murder the rich. The facial closeups explain a lot about Israeli life in this bold, gut-punching film.

9. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Policeman

The contrast between the warmth brotherhood of the police vs the cold tension of the Baader-Meinhof wannabes was quite interesting. There were some excellent performances, but the sound was so horrible it was hard to tell.

10. JE Garcia's rating of the film Policeman

Not bad at all. Very different. It worked because it was showing actual human interaction and not loud, explosive, senseless violence; something that you'd think would be in a film like this. So in that way, the way it was pulled off was genius.

11. Dogville59's rating of the film Policeman

Reminds me of the Bader-Meinhof movie. This one raises some good points about the unethical behaviour of some of the super rich and how the state enables their exploitation of people.

12. msmichel's rating of the film Policeman

A strange mix that never quite excels in this dual tale concerning an elite cop squad and an unlikely Israeli terrorist group of privileged kids. The first half is the interesting one with a near homo-erotic edge in the comradeship of the officers as they band together facing charges from a previous mission. The second drags the film down with an unfocused amateurish script. By the end any interest is long gone.

13. Jason's rating of the film Policeman

Staggeringly well-made film. The collaboration here between Lapid and DP Goldman reminds me of that between the greatest working team in contemporary cinema, Claire Denis and Agnès Godard, and NOBODY EVER reminds me of them - what they do is superlative. In fact, the early attention to the homosocial domain of male police officers explicitly invokes Beau Travail. And things get WAY more profound than I was expecting

14. zi's rating of the film Policeman

In some respects this is not a sophisticated film. Some of the writing, and performances, are too obvious, and can lack nuance altogether. I almost didn't get through it. However, it finds redemption through the sheer power of the subject matter and its portrayal. Worth watching.

15. Robert Peters-Gehrke's rating of the film Policeman

It is hard not to read this film as a commentary about Israel's psyche. And it is to its credit that this commentary is very complex, not in the least onesided. The cops are hardened but also care for their own. The anarchists are sick but they don't deserve their fate. Violence has damaged them all. A hard film worth a watch. I felt let down at the end and can't really say why. Build your own opinion.

16. El Biffo's rating of the film Policeman

17. saitosouta's rating of the film Policeman

"Zero Motivation" "Gett" "Youth" "Why hast thou forsaken me?"....I love young israeli filmmakers, love their unique and scathing skill to criticize own country. So finally, I watched Nadav Lapid film and very shocked. Horrifyingly matter-of-fact, deeply critical movie about crash between love-my-countrys and hate-my-countrys. SO SUPERB.

18. William Wilberforce's rating of the film Policeman

The film did not catch me. For what it might try to tell us it was to harmless. Also the end was vague.

19. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Policeman

El final de "Policeman" tal vez sea el desliz de la película. Hasta antes, un argumento en dos partes. Por un lado, un policía perturbado por una serie de inseguridades (desde su paternidad hasta su vocación), mientras por otro, un grupo de terroristas poco convencidos de su propio discurso. Entonces todo estaba a un plano de lo sugerente. Era el ser y parecer. Lo último, es la fragilidad sobreexpuesta. Muy forzado.

20. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Policeman

An apparent attempt to subvert stereotypes of macho police instead immerses itself in them nearly to the point of parody. The structure, avoiding the more common inter-cutting stories, presents them, for the most part, in two segments, followed by a third in which they are somewhat inter-cut as they converge. The performances are fine. The story good enough. But there's not much especially noteworthy here.

21. Vahid Mortazavi's rating of the film Policeman

Another great film from Israel's contemporary cinema: profound, sharp and funny through its very precise formal and thematic strategies!