1. WildCardLucas's rating of the film Poltergeist

2. zena's rating of the film Poltergeist

"This house is clean." I've never seen a horror film with this much warmth. Jobeth Williams' character is wonderfully developed, balancing her screaming scenes with equal measures of motherly strength and playful curiosity. Had me line and sinker until the first false ending. The film would have been better off without "The Beast" and the teenage daughter.

3. Emily O's rating of the film Poltergeist

4. hubertguillaud's rating of the film Poltergeist

Malgré les années, Poltergeist est encore très regardable. Sa mise en abîme de l'American Way of Life, sa réalisation très apaisée, Spielbergienne, joue sur plusieurs niveaux de sens et utilise le fantastique comme critique sociale, de la banlieue, de la télévision... et même de la famille, si on y regarde bien. Bien fichu !

5. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Poltergeist

An odd creature this, combining Speilbergian sentimentality with modest horror tactics - a formula continued with Gremlins replacing shlock with slapstick. It holds attention despite uneven pacing, variable performance styles and certainly one false finale too many. A tightening of plot and reduction of length would have improved matters, although the occasional satiric barb on Americana pokes through in recompense.

6. DenoResandono's rating of the film Poltergeist

For a horror movie, POLTERGEIST didn't feel too frightening to me. But I must admit that some scenes is really scared the shit out of me when I was watching it for first time - when I was 8 years old, maybe. In my opinion, POLTERGEIST is still a decent horror movie. Tobe Hooper's experience to create a horror and Steven Spielberg's experience to make an entertaining movie blends so well in this movie. Great movie!

7. F/K's rating of the film Poltergeist

Always found this film to be a blast, the special effects are fun and vibrant for a horror film. never gets boring.

8. HKFanatic's rating of the film Poltergeist

At a recent screening in San Francisco, I was disappointed to find that the 70mm print was in such bad shape that "Poltergeist's" deep blue and black hues instead read as magenta. I was worried it would impact my enjoyment of finally seeing the film on the big screen, but such is the power of "Poltergeist" that five minutes later it didn't matter. The warmest, funniest, and most joyous horror film ever made.

9. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Poltergeist

It was the first (and probably really only) movie that scared the living shit out of me when I was a youngster. It put me through turmoil and made me hate toy clowns, closets, scary sounds and the darkness itself, but also made me pretty immune for anything called scary movies and special effects later on. Zelda Rubinstein is unique as a weird medium and late Heather O'Rourke is an angel of a kid as Carol Anne.

10. Joel's rating of the film Poltergeist

A strong horror film experience ripe with twists that would go on to be recycled and reused over the next 30 years. It’s a powerful use of PG-13 terror and is quite satisfying in it’s execution.

11. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film Poltergeist

12. mahdis's rating of the film Poltergeist

13. Rocco's rating of the film Poltergeist

Stuffed to the gills with everything pleasurable in mainstream cinema: horror, humor, family values etc. featuring the finest of effects driven filmmaking the 1980s could offer.

14. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Poltergeist

15. Rupert Giles's rating of the film Poltergeist

16. João R's rating of the film Poltergeist

It's an extremely entertaining movie but, for the most part, it sponsors some really exaggerated and ridiculous sequences.

17. pumpkindraconis's rating of the film Poltergeist

I love how everything about this movie is a standart 80's horror.

18. Ann Burden's rating of the film Poltergeist

19. kartina obskura's rating of the film Poltergeist

20. smndvdcl's rating of the film Poltergeist

Finally got round to watching it. It's good, but it's not Carling.

21. Fabiha's rating of the film Poltergeist

"There is no death. There is only a transition to a different sphere of consciousness."

22. FISCHER's rating of the film Poltergeist

Splendide réalisation sur le thème des maisons hantées et des manifestations paranormales, la conjugaison a priori antinomique Steven Spielberg / Tobe Hooper accouche d'un excellent moment de distraction / frissons... www.cinefiches.com

23. l's rating of the film Poltergeist

Lots to comment here about femininity and its historied association with the paranormal and/or spiritual, but I digress; you can write this off as cornball, but at its core this film is about how the past never stays the past, and what we forget and regard as detritus is never truly gone; it is always lurking in the peripheries of history, ready to erupt. Okay, ‘the Beast' character was shitty, but whatever.

24. Chase Vault's rating of the film Poltergeist

Not really scary but quite entertaining

← Previous 1 3 4