1. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

I'm with Almond White on this one ;)

2. Aardsy's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Fascinating and upsetting.

3. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Shirley Clarke brilliantly analyzes the mind of Jason Holiday, who reveals himself to be a darkly funny, yet tragic figure and, in a weird way, is the 1960s underground incarnated.

4. grotescsetorg's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

5. Feng Ling's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Drunken history of the humble phony jealous male bitch Jason... "it only hurts when you think about it... And if ye are real, you think for a long time..." "but if you try to forget... They'll get to you... " "I love Diana... I love you Richard... And if you don't know I love you, then you don't know anything about anything... " "there's nothing more to say. Other than an orgasm..."

6. Diderot's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

A miracle of a movie. He's got monologues for days...

7. Loz Loory's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

So glad I got to see this. I bet if it were released today, it would be an enormous hit. Fascinating documentation of the beginnings of so many cultural signals: Drag queens doing the snap before "Oh snap!" was added to the gesture; calling each other "Miss Thing." Jason's mellifluous voice is mesmerizing to listen to. Great portrait of a complex human being unafraid to expose all his contradictions.

8. runfromfire's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

It was interesting in the same way a conversation with an fascinating drunk can be and in the same way I felt like it was a little longer than it needed to be.

9. Nan Bauer's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

10. muse_x's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

11. Scienceofphantoms's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

I'll never tell. Jason, for me, is like seeing an old friend but not realizing what I'm in for until we've both had too many drinks. He takes advantage of the format, uses repetition, outmaneuvers the camera at so many turns. Clarke is less exploitative than other filmmakers who have tried to deal with the pathologized and trivialized.

12. mpho3's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

"[POJ] gets you thinking about essential issues that most nonfiction naively or cynically ignores. It raises profound questions about the nature of the self, the relationship between fiction and reality, and the way that film doesn't simply record raw truth but shapes it into something reflecting the filmmaker's vision of life." -John Powers, NPR. Hence Clarke's portrait of Jason's portrait of Jason. Mesmerizing.

13. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Greatest episode of "Drunk History" ever. ......................................................................... It was like walking into a bar and sitting down next to an old drunk guy dishing out story after story. Listening to him laugh and laugh at himself and wishing there was some polite way to excuse yourself.

14. Natty's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Big Love to You Jason x

15. T Mills's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Successful in that it proves one subject in one room can be material for a feature length film and have a lasting impact.

16. ShawnD's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

How one feels about this movie probably depends on ow one feels about Aaron/Jason. Not many movie stars can hold an audience's attention for 105 minutes. That includes Aaron/Jason. After 10 minutes I was bored by him. By the end he was a pathetic creation, masquerading as someone who he thinks might be interesting. Its failings notwithstanding I'm looking forward to seeing more from Shirley Clarke.

17. Nacnud Schmalz's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

What a character. ! What a life.

18. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Wow, just wow. How has never crossed my path until now? This is another level. It'll be 50 years old here pretty quick, and it puts to shame so much of the last 50 years.

19. Ben Loory's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

An immortal film, most likely, through troublesome, dated, and often boring. i hope jason stabbed all the filmmakers to death after he saw the finished product.

20. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

When she says, "What else you got?" I would have bitch-slapped her. The guy is pouring out his life!

21. Neil troost's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

its a time capsule. that part is fascinating. of any facet of society-we dont see enough of these. specific to this film-people think depravity is a new problem, or unique, or doesnt damage the person who surrenders to it. none of that is true.

22. Marcus Jones's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

Glad I finally got to see this after hearing about it some time ago. Such an effective (and sometimes uncomfortable) look at an electric personality. Holliday spouts off his philosophies and talks about his life in a combination of joy, sadness, anger, and braggadocio. We see multiple sides of a person, a charming performer, a wounded drunk, all pieces that make up an interesting life worth watching.

23. Adam M's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

24. David Richards's rating of the film Portrait of Jason

A talker, a guy with a slick rap and his language was a pleasure to listen to. Thinking back, it wasn't just the stories, but also the way he told them. It got painful toward the end as he got more and more wasted. I really didn't enjoy the camera constantly going in and out of focus. This seemed like a stylistic mannerism that served no purpose that I could detect.