1. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

2. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

3. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

4. Jason's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

A great big impossible jeu d'esprit. One of those great heroic movies, product of a great heroic production. Such a pleasure to finally encounter it having been unable to do so all these moribund years. A benighted bezerk anthropological descent-into-crazy. The hillbilly lore of the islands. The underside of the overwrought disdain of Gods. There are creation myths and endtimes myths. There is the cinema: alive.

5. paxy's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

6. Ostermyers's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

7. El Biffo's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

Taboo-free love and intense devotion to superstitious island gods make for a wonderful psychotronic cocktail in this way-out, psychedelic and entertaining Japanese New Wave island psycho-drama.

8. A47's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

Never have I been more enamored with the camera language but oh so lost on the narrative (much more the story) of a movie.

9. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

a strange fish. Herzogian.

10. Sthirabandhu's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

remarkable movie, over 3 hours long but quite profound as folk tales are interwoven into the lives on an Island where some of it's leaders want industrial progress and Coke Cola .... well worth watching, would love to see it on the Big Screen

11. raggiodisole's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

a true anthropomorphic study, all the richness of human life, peeking into corners of Japan, literally and metaphorically. never less than fascinating, what an achievement.

12. matty5190's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

My first Imamura and I loved it so much.

13. Justin Vicari's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

A very heady brew and one which I cannot really explain while just now under its intoxicating effects. It's got a lot going on - it's like a Japanese Faulkner novel, with a very sophisticated political analysis of desire, myth and history. And the entire middle is richly comedic, while the last hour is tragic and disturbing. I was enthralled.

14. comeandsee's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

imamura is at his very best here, with a perfect invocation of his theme of an isolated community which survives on older traditions which are compromised by modernity. the actress playing toriko is outstanding, one of the best imamura performances. the framing is perfection, as always with the visuals outstanding. the script is incisive and contemplative. imamura really is the japanese master.

15. Truls Foss's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

The profound desires of the gods, was really one of a kind. Shohei Imamura has made a colossal of a social film, with great-developed characters and a rich, but at the same time slow story line. I admire films like this which balance on the edge of humor and tragedy without feeling to obvious in the sense “of what we the audience should feel”

16. Joriah Goad's rating of the film Profound Desires of the Gods

Imamura's masterpiece. This would be an amazing Criterion Blu-Ray release- I can just imagine the possibilities for cover art.