1. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Prospero's Books

......................que seeeeeeca

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Some of it is maddeningly literal: "The very instant that I saw you, did/ My heart fly to your service" - a heart with wings flits across the screen. But this matters not when confronted with such a cornucopia of baroque theatrical splendour set to Michael Nyman's most sumptuous & urgently beautiful music. In terms of (earned!) self-indulgence and (playful!) humourlessness this is as far as I will go with Greenaway.

3. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Maybe not as effective as “The Pillow Book,” which shares much of its aesthetic DNA, but still an interesting Greenaway experiment in theatre and film.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Hormis le délire visuel toujours fort étonnant, l'oeuvre pagaie dans un hermétisme irritant et pesant... www.cinefiches.com

5. Balthaz21's rating of the film Prospero's Books

6. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Prospero's Books

7. josh scam's rating of the film Prospero's Books

you'll have no idea, but like damn

8. El Biffo's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Neck Ruff Advisory: This film contains graphic and pervasive use of Elizabethan neck ruffs. By way of contrast, actors not wearing a neck ruff are either fully or partially nude. The final scene also involves graphic and dramatic use/abuse of a neck ruff. Rated "NR" for neck ruffs.

9. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Prospero's Books

So...just...so many things. It's like walking through a museum. It's more than mere some Shakespeare.

10. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Prospero's Books

An adaptation of one of my favorite and most overlooked Shakespeare plays. Greenway captures the magic and transforms the style so perfectly into his world while still keeping everything right from the play. What he best handles is the character of Caliban, who has some of the richest soliloquies from the play. Pairing them with the choreography fits so perfectly. I love the affected dialogue and abundance on screen.

11. 2multo's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Mr. Greenaway recolonizes the Bard's world masterfully.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Prospero's Books

"An intellectually and erotically rampaging meditation on the arrogance and value of the artistic process." - Variety

13. Erik F.'s rating of the film Prospero's Books

O brave new world that has such Peter Greenaway in it!

14. David Richards's rating of the film Prospero's Books

It really helps to know the play. In some parts, everything seems to come together: music, language, dance and graphics. In others, it just seems overly busy, even campy with its stylized costumes etc. Sometimes all the naked bodies were a distraction. I saw this film when it first came out, but it is totally different than what I remember.

15. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Unfortunately Shakespeare's play kind of drowns in Greenaway's ostentatious experimentation; the complex sentence structures and now obsolete words are already a heavy precondition. It's better to read the play translated into modern English: http://nfs.sparknotes.com/tempest/

16. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Prospero's Books

I'm glad that this exists, but felt suffocated by it in the theater.

17. nein's rating of the film Prospero's Books

I think it's the first boring Greenaway's movie I've seen. And I've seen many.

18. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Since I've seen this film for the first time in cinema it's one of my all time favorites. There's so much to say: The whole sound design is brillant, especially the idea of using derivatives of John Gielgud's voice (his Shakespeare declamation is wonderful) as voices of the others to show the degrees of dependency. And Michael Nyman's strange pseudo-barque music fits wonderfully into the visual mannerism of the film.

19. Tlr Creme Org's rating of the film Prospero's Books

So complex and visually rich that it's almost unbearable. You probably need to watch it three times before it makes sense (or maybe when you're a highly trained first year Film School dude). But I prefer to do that because it's fun, not because I have to

20. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Prospero's Books

3,5 Visually spectacular and original adaptation of The Tempest. It is mandatory to read the play first or else you're wasting your time

21. Ark V's rating of the film Prospero's Books

Certainly a fascinating use of film, Greenaway having fun here.

22. anarresti's rating of the film Prospero's Books

I love the idea of this film. One of the least narrative works of Greenaway to date was based precisely in a Shakespeare' classic. His cinema would get more radically there, in that point where we are bathed in a sensory sea of images (and sounds, and text) that create an atmosphere with The Pilow Book, 5 years later. Here we have this marvelous imbroglio: a fantasmatic plot echoing under the belly of a filmmaker.

23. Pymo's rating of the film Prospero's Books