1. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Public Enemies

Long time since I saw it but I found it terribly boring.

2. That Geek With The Clip-Ons's rating of the film Public Enemies

Overall it's not bad. The performances are fine, there's some good action pieces and tension. I think the biggest misstep was making it look like a home movie instead of a film. And I know Michael Mann can make visually stunning movies, Heat and Mahnhunter being great examples. I also know that digital film can be corrected to look like an older film (O Brother, Where Art Thou being a great example).

3. Wellington's rating of the film Public Enemies

Only Michael Mann to take off Johnny Depp's make-up and extract a great performance from him LOL

4. Kamran's rating of the film Public Enemies

In spite of the wandering middle section, perhaps Mann's most critically dramatic and emotionally wrought film. 87/100 - Excellent (4.5)

5. Star Lord's rating of the film Public Enemies

6. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Public Enemies

The visual style and the DV camera work doesn't suit the period setting and the mumbled audio was awful. Detracted from a pretty good script, with the end result being rather unengaging....

7. Ethan's rating of the film Public Enemies

I wanted to love this movie so much but there was just something preventing me from that. I guess I was just too in love with the John Milius film Dillinger where Warren Oates knocked it out of the park as John Dillinger. I guess I had too much faith in Johnny Depp and he let me down like everybody else did in this movie except for Marion Cottilard, it's very hard for her to be terrible.

8. Trunfos's rating of the film Public Enemies

to me,this is the best role of Johnny Depp 7,6/10

9. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Public Enemies

You forget Christian Bale is in this movie even when he's onscreen.

10. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film Public Enemies

11. James Mackin's rating of the film Public Enemies

Channing Tatum is nice and this. And it looks great for a digital film.

12. film_lies101's rating of the film Public Enemies

I'm torn on this one. The cinematography was amazing at times, distracting at other times. Not distracting in a bad way, I and most I believe audiences are not used to seeing movies this way. This is 100% percent 21st century filmmaking, and it serve to educate filmmakers in the years and decades to come. Being a native Chicagoan, I already know the bulk of this story and tbh don't really find it that interesting

13. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Public Enemies

Mann is aware that films say more of the time in which they're made than the time in which they're set. Public Enemies is a g̶a̶n̶g̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ film electrified by a modern digital aesthetic to the point that it's not a costume drama, but a piece of humanity and our innate attachment to images/symbols of ourselves. It's action, romance, and death as expressions of the collective ideas we represent. Life is image.

14. Brendan's rating of the film Public Enemies

15. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Public Enemies

The origins, developments, & purposes of the image. Life is a prison: Mann's initial thesis. But no concept is easily manageable here; counteraction abounds. Depp is Depp & Dillinger at all times. By the end, this amalgamation of man & image faces a supreme image-maker &, in a moment of absolute transcendence, fully grasps how an image relates to a society which requires forms. Figural cinema of the highest order.

16. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Public Enemies

Gangster Films 101: Guy does bad things, bad guy not so bad, bad guy falls for good woman, good woman makes bad guy become more humane and personable, good bad guy gets killed by bad good guys. Pathos. Gangster Films 130: Some good moments (read: gunfights), but Mann's digital camerawork detracts from character intimacy. Bale furrows his brow. Depp tries, Crudup succeeds. Audience looks bored despite body count.

17. J.J. 'Jake' Gittes's rating of the film Public Enemies

Michael Mann made "Thief". And he made "Heat". He is a great director, familiar with the genre. Therefore, "Public Enemies" was a movie, I had high hopes for. However, it is a mess. Very much boring. How could that happen? Emptiness. I guess it lacks charisma, character, a dramatic element.

18. Ricardo Zambujo's rating of the film Public Enemies

19. Fer Sandoval's rating of the film Public Enemies

We are making history. Take direct, expedient action. As they say in Italy these days, take off your white gloves.

20. Fabio Di Felice's rating of the film Public Enemies

Il più loffio dei film di Mann è sempre un gran film perché il regista riesce a costruire, ancora una volta, una storia più grande della vicenda che mette in scena. Depp non sarà un grande attore ma riesce a infilare un po' di cuore nel suo personaggio, Bale ambiguo e durissimo.

21. edrina's rating of the film Public Enemies

22. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Public Enemies

23. Susana Bessa's rating of the film Public Enemies

This John Dillinger has style and a lot of conspicuous eye liner on. And if it wasn't for a charming Marion Cotillard, this film would have been a waste of my time.

24. angelicidea's rating of the film Public Enemies

Filmmakers must love Dillinger. He died because of his love of movies.

← Previous 1 3 4 5