1. PeterK94's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Nothing much happens in the first third, but it feels like a necessary setup for when things take off. By the time the plot threads come together in the third act I was enthralled.

2. Mashi95's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

The director managed to transform a plot that could have just been a romantic comedy in something more, every frame is a breath of human feeling. Watching it was interesting, but it didn't make me say wow. Just ok.

3. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

You can go to places in the world with pudding. That's funny.

4. Shahin Katila's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

5. Pedro Soares's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

what at first seemed like a light story, turned out to be an actual great film. this is very likely pta's best use of cinematography, music and most importantly symbolism in film (not to talk about bringing the best in his actors). a chaotic love can show up in your life like a car crash dropping an harmonium when you don't know what you're looking for

6. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Bizarre. Soundtrack and production design create a unique atmosphere. Mostly funny and Sandler´s eruptive aggressiveness gives it an additional edge.

7. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

3.5 stars. An ugly little film with a lot of heart that single-handedly redeemed Adam Sander as a performer... at least for a while. Less ungainly than some of Anderson's more operatic works and more convincingly human. One of the only instances in which I found found a completely abstract use of colours moving instead of just sensorily satisfying. Occupies a tiny buzzing part of my brain.

8. Beatrice Lorenzini's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

9. MisterColo93's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

10. J. O.'s rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Inexplicably, I slept on this for a long time. A decade and a half later, after having the urge to take it in, I am not overly impressed. On an aesthetic level, this is beautiful. Lean, stripped bare – stark cinematography complimented by a lilting harmonium-laced score. Further than that? Conventional rom-com plot slammed against a more charming and unique extortionist plot. Enjoyable, but also kind of irritating.

11. Amjack's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

i love this movie because of one lovely scene

12. Gabriele Malagoli's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

13. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

This is probably the most European feel PTA achieved behind the camera. The story is mesmerising throughout the first half or more with string of oddities coming at you, so you can't get a break, which makes for rather zippy experience. Good acting too and great camera work.

14. Natasha Angashanova's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

15. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

16. ninchok's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

A day old 1-star review: The music in the background is so fkn annoyiiiing, I don't even know if I want to watch this till the end, and I'm only 30 minutes past it. Update: Besides all that, this was a beautiful film.

17. Gioele's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Regia che segue la psicologia del protagonista interpretato da un sorprendente Adam Sandler

18. Christian's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

19. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

The camera choreography and musical accompaniment are really what make this film so great. It creates such impeccable tension centered around Barry. Adam Sandler seemed to be a perfect casting choice, given our preconceived notions of the typecast he's made for himself in his own comedies. If you were to transfer that character into a more dramatic background, there's no question it'd look like this, and it works.

20. Ligia Prodan's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

21. Jason's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

PUNCH-DRUNK clearly invokes the time and place of its own making in a fascinating way; it is a movie that is outside of history, or only indexes movie history (as was not uncustomary at the time), but it is essentially 'all spirit.' Early colour cinema was clearly 'punch-drunk' w/ its own possibilities. PUNCH-DRUNK is the same kind of 'punch-drunk.' The contact high is still strong w/ this one, these many years aft.

22. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

I won’t make the argument that this is Anderson’s greatest film, but it just might be my favorite. It’s painful how much I feel like I relate to Barry here (partly because I so understand the world he’s living in, partly because it’s Adam Sandler for Christ’s sake). It’s flabbergasting how good Sandler is in this. It’s like Jim Carrey in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”: I just didn’t know he could do that.

23. Nachtreich's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

24. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

I like PTA but I found this film too creepy. Not the character that Sandler plays but the movie itself isn't fun to watch. Not that it has to be but its noticably not meant to be creepy, I found, in a way that's an advantage.