1. J. O.'s rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Inexplicably, I slept on this for a long time. A decade and a half later, after having the urge to take it in, I am not overly impressed. On an aesthetic level, this is beautiful. Lean, stripped bare – stark cinematography complimented by a lilting harmonium-laced score. Further than that? Conventional rom-com plot slammed against a more charming and unique extortionist plot. Enjoyable, but also kind of irritating.

2. Amjack's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

i love this movie because of one lovely scene

3. Gabriele Malagoli's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

4. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

This is probably the most European feel PTA achieved behind the camera. The story is mesmerising throughout the first half or more with string of oddities coming at you, so you can't get a break, which makes for rather zippy experience. Good acting too and great camera work.

5. Natasha Angashanova's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

6. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

7. ninchok's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

A day old 1-star review: The music in the background is so fkn annoyiiiing, I don't even know if I want to watch this till the end, and I'm only 30 minutes past it. Update: Besides all that, this was a beautiful film.

8. Gioele's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Regia che segue la psicologia del protagonista interpretato da un sorprendente Adam Sandler

9. Christian's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

10. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

The camera choreography and musical accompaniment are really what make this film so great. It creates such impeccable tension centered around Barry. Adam Sandler seemed to be a perfect casting choice, given our preconceived notions of the typecast he's made for himself in his own comedies. If you were to transfer that character into a more dramatic background, there's no question it'd look like this, and it works.

11. Ligia Prodan's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

12. Jason's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

PUNCH-DRUNK clearly invokes the time and place of its own making in a fascinating way; it is a movie that is outside of history, or only indexes movie history (as was not uncustomary at the time), but it is essentially 'all spirit.' Early colour cinema was clearly 'punch-drunk' w/ its own possibilities. PUNCH-DRUNK is the same kind of 'punch-drunk.' The contact high is still strong w/ this one, these many years aft.

13. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

I won’t make the argument that this is Anderson’s greatest film, but it just might be my favorite. It’s painful how much I feel like I relate to Barry here (partly because I so understand the world he’s living in, partly because it’s Adam Sandler for Christ’s sake). It’s flabbergasting how good Sandler is in this. It’s like Jim Carrey in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”: I just didn’t know he could do that.

14. Nachtreich's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

15. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

I like PTA but I found this film too creepy. Not the character that Sandler plays but the movie itself isn't fun to watch. Not that it has to be but its noticably not meant to be creepy, I found, in a way that's an advantage.

16. Rodrigo Morais's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

17. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

****1/2 Such lovely, sweet use of space and color; such tension in the sound and in the cutting (too much and too thick, it seems to me sometimes, but my experience of that shifts slightly, and I go up and down a half-star, from viewing to viewing) between chaos, mundaneness, serenity, and beauty.

18. Louis Léonard's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

19. Trunfos's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

20. s.birowo's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

The only film where I could see Sandler's real potential

21. Ylly's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

22. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love

Annoying-as-fuck-Boring Love. Sorry PTA, but no.

23. Absentia's rating of the film Punch-Drunk Love