1. I.Camera's rating of the film Ran

Kurosawa's last masterpiece, and cinema's best Lear. A Jap-speare epic of wind, war and arterial spurts, as a warlord cedes territory he won through blood with predictable results. Hardly a naturalist, Kurosawa applies his painterly eye to colour film, with the three warring brothers in striking primary colours, and stylised acting derived from Noh theatre (not least the vampiric Harada as the vengeful Lady Kaede).

2. Malt Frisky's rating of the film Ran

The film has an overwhelming amount of bright colour that is jarring when you see how brutal the film can get. The images from the castle siege instantaneously reminded me of the open of Saving Private Ryan but just the scale of the soldiers in battle at times is overwhelming but still evens out with the quieter moments, the dialogue and tragedy is pure Shakespeare translated masterfully in the land of the rising run

3. Joaquín Font's rating of the film Ran

Que alguien como Kurosawa se sienta cercano a Shakespeare - en ese sentido toda la humanidad es tan cercana a su obra -. Desde el carácter de una transposición histórica hasta la dimensión de aprofundir ciertas temáticas, mucho de lo que le da gran fuerza a esta película viene justamente de que no pretende agregar nada y que, sin embargo, es en esa humildad donde brilla luminosa, un gesto de reverencia, un último.

4. Yukachan's rating of the film Ran

Un film avec les idees tres musculin.

5. namsai k.'s rating of the film Ran

red blood / green grass / pink sky / perfection ._.

6. Didonne's rating of the film Ran

7. MisterColo93's rating of the film Ran

8. Sin título.'s rating of the film Ran

9. Vlad Popescu's rating of the film Ran

10. Mariano-ML's rating of the film Ran

My favourite Shakespeare adaptation. Visually the film blew me away, while set in Feudal Japan, the mood of the images ranged from apocalyptic to pastorial. The siege sequence and the last shot of the movie are burned into my memory forever. Finally, I really enjoyed the movie's exploration of existential themes.

11. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Ran

Per il mio gusto personale ho abbondato di poco, ma se lo merita ed è giusto così. Che mazzata emotiva comunque

12. ceknklsn's rating of the film Ran

67/100 (Sadece diyeceğim abartmayın. Spoilerlı yorumumu alta bıraktım...)

13. Mariana Cruz's rating of the film Ran

There's nothing quite like a Shakespearean tragedy. In whatever language, culture or medium may it be told.

14. Loz Loory's rating of the film Ran

Another uninspiring, claustrophobic, poorly acted drawing room comedy... Come on, seriously. It's "Ran." It's awesome. Especially the blue kimono. Though when I was a kid and saw it, I was alarmed that the women had to commit seppuku. I got really scared that I'd be forced to kill myself because of some men making stupid decisions.

15. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Ran

One of Kirosawa's "Big Three" (in my book) and it still holds up with yet another viewing. It is an immensely satisfying production. The acting is as large as the script. Very Kabuki in style many times, grand and operatic. I can see it as being a weakness, but it totally works for me. Grand cinematography with sweeping images and wonderful direction. This is a wonderfully epic bit of filmmaking. Not to be missed.

16. Matthew Almont's rating of the film Ran

A sprawling, unforgettable epic full of beauty and brutality. Kurosawa's tragic look at man's cruelty and foolishness will always be a major cinematic achievement.

17. LTDKNWLDG's rating of the film Ran

My first Akira Kurosawa. Amazing, beautiful film.

18. Nicholas Kohut's rating of the film Ran

Quintessential Kurosawa. Brandishing Takemitsu's deeply contemplative score, Ran cuts through the pitfalls of Shakespearean cinema and delivers a spellbinding tapestry of betrayal, war, and chaos within family. Through a crescendo of absolute devastation and masterfully timed comic relief, Kurosawa presents a bleak allegory for the godless condition of our modern world.

19. 5th1's rating of the film Ran

It took a little effort on my part to get invested and wow, I can see why this was recommended to me lot. Not my favorite Kurosawa film, but definitely a highlight in his filmography

20. Rod's rating of the film Ran

Saw this movie in my teens, and there are images that are still images from it etched in my mind over 30years later. A true epic, it strives for high art in every way (scripting, acting, scenery, directing, costumes, gravitas) and hits every one. A masterpiece is an understatement.

21. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ran

The problem of spectacle. Tatsuya disappears under all that make-up, and fails to register as human. He doesn't so much act as he changes masks. Kurosawa changes the play from being about the characters to the spectacle of battlefields and killing. It's beautiful, but it has no soul.

22. enkii__bilal's rating of the film Ran

23. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film Ran

So gorgeous and potent that I plan to revisit this film throughout my life with new and deeper appreciation.

24. 7777777's rating of the film Ran

Classic classic classic. The only criticism I have is that they chose they wrong shade of red for the blood. Other than that I can't see how this could be any better. Please show more classics, MUBI!