1. Mariano-ML's rating of the film Ran

My favourite Shakespeare adaptation. Visually the film blew me away, while set in Feudal Japan, the mood of the images ranged from apocalyptic to pastorial. The siege sequence and the last shot of the movie are burned into my memory forever. Finally, I really enjoyed the movie's exploration of existential themes.

2. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Ran

Per il mio gusto personale ho abbondato di poco, ma se lo merita ed è giusto così. Che mazzata emotiva comunque

3. ceknklsn's rating of the film Ran

67/100 (Sadece diyeceğim abartmayın. Spoilerlı yorumumu alta bıraktım...)

4. Mariana Cruz's rating of the film Ran

There's nothing quite like a Shakespearean tragedy. In whatever language, culture or medium may it be told.

5. Loz Loory's rating of the film Ran

Another uninspiring, claustrophobic, poorly acted drawing room comedy... Come on, seriously. It's "Ran." It's awesome. Especially the blue kimono. Though when I was a kid and saw it, I was alarmed that the women had to commit seppuku. I got really scared that I'd be forced to kill myself because of some men making stupid decisions.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Ran

One of Kirosawa's "Big Three" (in my book) and it still holds up with yet another viewing. It is an immensely satisfying production. The acting is as large as the script. Very Kabuki in style many times, grand and operatic. I can see it as being a weakness, but it totally works for me. Grand cinematography with sweeping images and wonderful direction. This is a wonderfully epic bit of filmmaking. Not to be missed.

7. Matthew Almont's rating of the film Ran

A sprawling, unforgettable epic full of beauty and brutality. Kurosawa's tragic look at man's cruelty and foolishness will always be a major cinematic achievement.

8. LTDKNWLDG's rating of the film Ran

My first Akira Kurosawa. Amazing, beautiful film.

9. Nicholas Kohut's rating of the film Ran

Quintessential Kurosawa. Brandishing Takemitsu's deeply contemplative score, Ran cuts through the pitfalls of Shakespearean cinema and delivers a spellbinding tapestry of betrayal, war, and chaos within family. Through a crescendo of absolute devastation and masterfully timed comic relief, Kurosawa presents a bleak allegory for the godless condition of our modern world.

10. 5th1's rating of the film Ran

It took a little effort on my part to get invested and wow, I can see why this was recommended to me lot. Not my favorite Kurosawa film, but definitely a highlight in his filmography

11. Rod's rating of the film Ran

Saw this movie in my teens, and there are images that are still images from it etched in my mind over 30years later. A true epic, it strives for high art in every way (scripting, acting, scenery, directing, costumes, gravitas) and hits every one. A masterpiece is an understatement.

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ran

The problem of spectacle. Tatsuya disappears under all that make-up, and fails to register as human. He doesn't so much act as he changes masks. Kurosawa changes the play from being about the characters to the spectacle of battlefields and killing. It's beautiful, but it has no soul.

13. enkii__bilal's rating of the film Ran

14. Lily Parmenter's rating of the film Ran

So gorgeous and potent that I plan to revisit this film throughout my life with new and deeper appreciation.

15. 7777777's rating of the film Ran

Classic classic classic. The only criticism I have is that they chose they wrong shade of red for the blood. Other than that I can't see how this could be any better. Please show more classics, MUBI!

16. tinderness's rating of the film Ran

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." Ran gehört zu den Filmen, die man gesehen haben muss, um zu wissen, was gutes Kino ist und es imstande ist, zu leisten. Wäre das Wort episch im Englischen heute nicht schon entwertet, ich würde es verwenden, um dem Film zu beschreiben. Der alte Mann und die Zwangsläufigkeit von Gewalt, gefasst in Bildern, die auch ohne die monumentalen Szenen im Kleinen funktionieren.

17. Luis Marmolejo's rating of the film Ran

Absolutely stunning classic Japanese film. The color pallet used for the costume decisions might be a major key to the aesthetic Kurosawa is creating. For the time period, the film goes over the top with extravagant scenes and beautiful layouts. If you appreciate Japanese culture, then /Ran/ should be a top priority for you to watch. 10/10 would recommend to a weeb.

18. rgarrettrun's rating of the film Ran

Kurosawa did a very good job on creating such a powerful film. Every frame and shot was gorgeous, full of color, costumes, props, and simple backdrops. The narrative takes an interesting take on Shakespeare, and the influence from "King Lear" can be seen. Anyone wanting to see a breathtaking masterpiece with a powerful story needs to watch Ran.

19. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Ran

The best Shakespeare adaptation?

20. Samuel Spione's rating of the film Ran

Kurosawa in black and white is masterful enough, but in color he is unparalleled and unforgettable. Every single frame is a masterpiece

21. lbunuel's rating of the film Ran

I don't think the last 30 minutes of the film are on the same level as the rest, but that means basically nothing - this is a sublime work throughout. The best war scenes ever committed to the screen; a profound reimagining of Shakespeare's text; an unrivaled sense of pacing and mise-en-scene by a master in complete control of his powers.

22. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Ran

Excellent epic war movie inspired by one of the literal greats - King Lear by Shakespeare and directed by one cinema legend, Akira Kurosawa. This film has one of the evilest female foxes portrayed on film that just spits venom and is death in presence. Excellent production values with fantastic costume design, sets and an actual castle being built and burnt down is some of the many memorable images in the film.

23. dionysus67's rating of the film Ran

As if fire on celluloid, 'Ran' explodes the senses and deepens the emotional and intellectual impact on the (tragic) human condition, delivering a cinematic epic of astonishing proportions and visual bravura. Nakadai is a Lear until the end of time and the film's eschatology in the chaos of bloodshed, revenge and insatiable thirst for power is redeemed by the genius and moral struggles of its creator. Unforgettable!

24. Ben Nash's rating of the film Ran

The best Shakespeare adaptation the world has ever seen.