1. ofNatalie LA's rating of the film Real Genius

I am sure I was the no.1 user of www.fast-rewind.com for years, but somehow I didn't see this for all the John Hughes. Lo fi, with its own strange humour and negative space and time, with a totally solid story carried by Val at his peak dry ice charisma.

2. HKFanatic's rating of the film Real Genius

This film's central conceit - that the student bodies of prestigious technical institutions are just as raucous and hormonal as your average fraternity house - isn't particularly revelatory, but a young Val Kilmer at his most charismatic and irreverent ensures that "Real Genius" places a respectable second in the Kilmer Eighties comedy duology that includes this and "Top Secret." Not bad company to be in.

3. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Real Genius

Coolidge does a good job of taking a very off-beat script (especially for the '80s) to a higher plain. In the end, the mix of genres and tones doesn't always work, but when it does, the film soars. And Val Kilmer's energy and the way he explores the space around him is truly noteworthy.

4. film_lies101's rating of the film Real Genius

Val Kilmer is supper charming, has a few wtf lines but overall, meh

5. HeadGEAR's rating of the film Real Genius

Every time I see this movie on tv, I have to stop and watch it.

6. PETE GCDB's rating of the film Real Genius

This is one of the films from my childhood years that remains one of my favorites. Val Kilmer in one of his best roles as eccentric science student Chris Knight. A really good supporting cast as well.

7. Jordan Scott's rating of the film Real Genius

I suspect it's she that MUBI have got mixed up with Michel Ocelot (who would have been making films and TV in France by 1985). (0_o)

8. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Real Genius

Harmless comedy about geniuses. I should have seen a giallo instead. Already forgotten.

9. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Real Genius

Surprisingly enjoyable 80s teen comedy. It is incredibly dated, predictable, and often very cheesy - but it's also fresh and original with memorable characters and several generally funny moments. Not any kind of masterpiece, but a very fun movie.

10. L.A.™'s rating of the film Real Genius

Just in case you ever wondered what happened to Jon Gries:http://mubi.com/garage/projects/2/films/2714