1. Viola42012's rating of the film Regal

Vero e propio piccolo capolavoro del Cinema contemporaneo, arguta riflessione sperimentale sulla società, sulla nuova dimensione della vita invasa ossessivamente da tecnologia, film scaricati e insegne luminose; un sunto che costituisce un'esperienza cinematografica di alto livello da parte di una regista il cui valore pare (alla sottoscritta) incontestabile.

2. muse_x's rating of the film Regal

3. KonradK15's rating of the film Regal

It is short, sweet, and to the point. However, the point is overshadowed by the fact that for about ninety percent of it, I had no idea what I was watching. If that was purpose, well done. If not, well, good for you for getting it into festival.

4. The Boreal Chorus's rating of the film Regal

If I wanted to go to the mall, I'd go to the mall—or Times Square, or Vegas. Or Film Class 101. MUBI, really?

5. gabi gabi gabi's rating of the film Regal

I wonder how you can take over a logo that isn't presented as film.

6. panagiotatos's rating of the film Regal

7. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Regal

I don't know if it means anything but the pure expression is exilerating in a way.

8. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Regal

shallow. pretentious. student film project. yawn.

9. caitlin.f's rating of the film Regal

10. Bill Boothman's rating of the film Regal

Karissa Hahn's Regal juxtaposes anachronistic and contemporary elements in a way that suggests playful analogies between past and present as well as, perhaps, the future. Comparisons include VHS tracking errors to digital decay, movie theater snipes to loading screens and download and pause emblems to older media consumption. One is left to ponder what the future of irrelevant media technology and consumption may be.

11. Landen Celano's rating of the film Regal

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Regal

Uh...what? Not a clue but I liked it. Hahn is smart enough to know to keep it short and to the point.

13. EdieEmm's rating of the film Regal

There's a lyric: "Where have the songs played gone to?" This is like that, for the information age. As much an act of detournement as William Klein's Broadway by Light, combined with relevant and provocative musings on the nature of the image; of culture and commodity; of data, media, salience and meaning... Appropriately dense, and well-conceived. 3.75

14. Shawn Spitler's rating of the film Regal

The idea behind this is fantastic.

15. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Regal

16. Kamran's rating of the film Regal

Pretty banal archival take on the physicality of film processing through time; not particularly revealing but a somewhat fun flashback. 55/100 - Mediocre.

17. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Regal

This is really fascinating. Just by simply showing a sequence that so many people had watched while it was pristine, now degraded over time as film is wont to do. Mixing that with just a couple of touches showing that it was then being replayed on a computer. It creates a lush jarring of expectations and the reality that the director is presenting to the audience. There is something really clever about this.

18. Quattro's rating of the film Regal

I had never seen this pre-show stuff, so I kinda loved it while I was watching it. (I thought the brutal advertising was dystopian satire or something like that, and I love this lo-fi audiovisual style.) Then I read it was just found footage and it lost most of its charm. Still a pretty good trip, though.

19. Bjartur's rating of the film Regal

This is how I like bad films, really short.

20. Ghostman's rating of the film Regal

A brilliant and prank-like short that is hilarious and formally daring. I haven't laughed with a film's aesthetic choices in a long time. Crass commercialism flipped on its head.

21. Ryan Swen's rating of the film Regal

In which digital asserts itself onto celluloid.

22. JoeTD's rating of the film Regal

A film which follows the trend of, "anything can be art" while not having much substance at all. I tend to enjoy Avant-Garde film, and there was nothing to Regal that was enjoyable to me. This seems like a similar story to Piero Manzoni but instead of cans of shit becoming priceless works of art, we have Regal. I'm giving Regal two starts because while I personally did not enjoy the film, someone else might like it.

23. Michael Schmidt's rating of the film Regal

As someone who has to stifle laughter every time I'm in a theater and have to suffer through these overblown and useless animations, I had hoped for more biting "satire." I think MUBI was wrong for calling this satire at all; the point seemed to be something else entirely.

24. David Richards's rating of the film Regal

The operation of copying something multiple times, from film to video to digital media, magnifies "noise" from all three processes: scratches, screen flips and pixillation. It seems to be more about just presenting the idea than a meditation on the phenomena and how what is left to be seen can still be beautiful and interesting.