1. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

La realizzazione documentaristica del progetto non è nulla che non sia già stato visto prima, ma la vera forza del film sta nelle analisi sociali di Baldwin, uomo di una sensibilità immensa, paurosamente attuali ancora oggi. In mezzo ad un mare di documentari sul razzismo a stelle e strisce, riuscire a fornire agli spettatori spunti di riflessione validi è indice di un grado di umanità non trascurabile.

2. Yasser Azmy's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

"...someone once said to me, the people in general cannot bear very much truth, He meant by this that they prefer fantasy to a truthful reaction of their experiences..."

3. Raquel's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Accurately wise. For an hour and a half I was haunted. James Baldwin was such a bright person, he just knew about love and responsability.

4. Inês Moreira Santos's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

5. anarresti's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

This is not my country, this is not my culture. And yet, so much of America has changed the world, has become who I am. It is true that America was never an absolute monarchy (like my country was). And that it started as an unequal republic. The growing pains of this country, seen from the other side of the ocean, somehow also inspire. Baldwin's deep words go through the lives and deaths of three other great men.

6. Thomas Dods's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

The history of America is a history of a nation that is corrupted and defined by its racism. This film demonstrates this idea by matching Baldwin's rich prose with archive visuals and popular culture references in a masterful way. A polemic, but one that is deeply perceptive.

7. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

A kind of spiritual sequel to Peck's early, spectral documentary Lumumba: Death of the Prophet. The poetic-formal impulses of that work, together with the inclination to ask tough, sometimes reflexive questions of the archive, are again present. But these concerns are writ larger, and with a bigger budget that collides flesh, voice, and image with a moral and semantic density appropriate to Baldwin's prose.

8. Dan's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Something fairly astounding. The entire thing drips with love for Baldwin and at no point do you question why he would be worthy of such devotion.

9. Bilouaustria's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

This reminded me of Deleuze : "what is an idea in cinema ? It is an idea you can translate, apply only with the tools of cinema". Therefore here we have no idea, nothing that wasn't already in the texts of Baldwin. Yes, James Baldwin was a great great man and we surely miss him. No, there was no necessity for this film.

10. remora's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

11. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Pecks willingness to let the entire documentary hang on Baldwin's words alone, reveals just how distressingly prescient they are.

12. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Glad this film exists and got distributed everywhere. Only wish the filmmaker had been faithful to the lyrical prose of Baldwin. The narration clashes with the big choppy visual transitions. Out of nowhere text in all caps appears on the screen. Needed better editing especially integrating archival footage.

13. Django's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

We forget that the celebrated writer was also one of the great american intellectuals of the last half of the last century. Listening to his thinking is fascinating; realizing how many of his critisisms remain valid is heartbreaking.

14. Jason's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Engaging w/ a movie can sometimes be an analog for engaging w/ yr conscience. There are few more worthy reasons to make a documentary (or an essay film, which is more properly what this is). Peck's film is built out of and around two Baldwins: one of them is inarguably one of the finest writers of the 20th century; the other is a public intellectual of implacable style, wielding immense gravitas.

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

There's usually the irony that those who need to see a 'dangerous' cinema, are the ones least likely to see it. A dangerous cinema tells you things you didn't want to know or admit. Mostly we have comfort cinema because people perceive their lives to be difficult, and don't want to deal with those nagging questions in the back of their mind. We want superheros and good vs evil. Narcotize me before I start to think.

16. Henrique Amud's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Gentle and Brutal. As and introduction to James Baldwin (person and work) and an invaluable piece of history class, this is an astounding film. And now it is more relevant than never. Not only in america, but worldwide, for indiginous people, refugees, and all the people who have been sistematically oppressed for centuries.

17. Miguel Condeça's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

18. smec's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

I gave the stars for the theme and content, not for the way this documentary is put together. it emulates old-fashioned documentary-making. very simplified structure in terms of narrative, editing, graphics, music.

19. THE APOLL0's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Writing history with verbal lightning

20. Ghostman's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

A great and meaningful documentary featuring the ideas and words of a brilliant mind, James Baldwin. I've read some people write that this is too didactic or aesthetically inferior, I disagree. Even if that were to be true, sometimes it is better to spell something out crudely and expository rather than elaborately pontificate on nothing at all. This is an essential film and a fine introduction for Baldwin newcomers.

21. McMurphy's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

James Baldwin's text alone >>>>

22. film_lies101's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

23. Gonçalo's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

Poignant, essential and deeply, deeply relevant.

24. H V's rating of the film I Am Not Your Negro

ensina-me, que eu não aprendo, mas decoro, e faço que pensei, assim é a didática

← Previous 1 3 4