1. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Retaliation

A very typical Yakuza film. Nothing more and nothing less, really. A gangster has been away in jail and returns to a broken gang. He starts up with a new gang and eventually takes over and faces off with the brother of the victim of his original crime. Farmers refuse to sell land rights along the way as a subplot to betrayals and power struggles. All perfectly okay for this genre. But either way... still enjoyable.

2. David Perez's rating of the film Retaliation

3. Cjspen2.0's rating of the film Retaliation

It felt like every shot had a purpose in giving an insight to the story. It felt like every shot meant something important to the story.Like there was no shot that felt out of place, or like it did not belong in the movie. I was not really watching for continuity between shots and seeing if anything was out of place between two shots, but for the most part I look for that in watching movies, and I didnt find a thing

4. tim's rating of the film Retaliation

These rather silly over-the-top yakuza films should be in black and white. "Massacre Gun" wasn't so "busy." The sets were sparse. It felt like a staged piece of art. There was just too much going on in "Retaliation." I was a little bored with it.

5. film_lies101's rating of the film Retaliation

It's like a precursor to 'Gozu' minus the ultra surrealism

6. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Retaliation

Middle-of-the-road yakuza fare, probably forgettable to most due to Kobayashi's ultra-stoic, icy underboss character. What is notable, though, is the rather brazen way it blurs the line between legitimate business and, well, the more sordid type. If one starts making some connections during this filmmaking era, it becomes clear that the Economic Miracle was the house that yakuza built.