1. Juan Javier's rating of the film Rhine River

2. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Rhine River

Thank you, Mubi! I would love to see every single one of his films.

3. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Rhine River

An impressive case study in the ironies of modernity. Infusing work and leisure with class (while never outright saying so), the heart turns on its own - again, encouraged, not told - towards notions of social justice.

4. Zac Weber's rating of the film Rhine River

5. Jorge Rodrigo Da Silva's rating of the film Rhine River

6. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Rhine River

The film takes a weird voyeuristic approach to portraying the world around the Rhine. Something about this short seems amiss and does not come together to create a cohesive edifying experience. There are interesting shots that do give the viewer something, but it is not enough to complete the film.

7. darioscha's rating of the film Rhine River

Persiste el estilo de Nestler en este corto; ahora alrededor del río rhine. Sobreposiciones de música, y a veces de diálogo, dónde carga de significado a la imagen ficcionalizando las personas que trabajan dentro de ella (el trabajador) así como las que van de paso alrededor de ella (el turista).

8. EdieEmm's rating of the film Rhine River

These things you take for granted, that seem inevitable as rivers, have behind them a force just as strong and majestic: The honest hard work of the proletariat, you soft, pasty, entitled bougie twits! - is pretty much this movie, but deadpan and German. Not subtle... but effective! 3.5

9. Gryphonix's rating of the film Rhine River

Interesting documentary to watch nowadays when fewer people are able to make an honorable living off physical labor. You can see the look of mastery in the eyes of the workers. We’ve become instead a society of onlookers, like the people who’ve come to watch the men and boats.

10. Rezonator's rating of the film Rhine River

Pointless, all-assuming and boring, with a pompous narrator.

11. tohmi.tesuri's rating of the film Rhine River

At 13 minutes long it was bearable. I like people watching, I like watching boats, I like watching old films of people doing their thing so this film was harmless. Unfortunately, I thought the accompanying sound effects/music, particularly the boat engine noise was unnecessary and distracting.

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film Rhine River

The footage is nice, but again, the same hum drum narration that doesnt seem to provide much depth or insight to the visuals. Nestler remains a puzzling filmmaker to me. The core is there, he just seems to miss the mark a bit each time, otherwise could come close to greatness. As it is, 2.5 stars

13. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Rhine River

To be honest, I think this is one of those films that stars or rating do not apply (but again, stars and ratings should not apply to any film). Nestler takes us on a historic trip to daily life from back then (when? it does not matter). Beautiful, this is a documentary to eat with eyes wide opened.

14. DrFirestone's rating of the film Rhine River

A random footage from a time long gone, which on its own is rather interesting, unfortunately (again) it's accompanied by a monotonous and plain boring voice-over that doesn't provide any useful or relevant information nor does it create an emotional link with the images. This seems to be a trademark of Nestler's documentaries, which I am not a big fan of...

15. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Rhine River

"The fatty has to accompany his wife who wants to see boats." A good documentarian should respect his subjects!

16. AVA's rating of the film Rhine River

Nostalgischer Rückblick.

17. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Rhine River

2-3. I'm kind of in the same mindset that this isn't as interesting as some of Nestler's other documentaries. It is technically interesting to see the goings-on of the Rhine River, see the workers in their environment, imagine what their loved ones must think about it, etc. But there isn't the same smoothness of editing that was found in, say, Essays, nor the same amount of natural revelations.

18. Andreas Jonsson's rating of the film Rhine River

19. Superfrog's rating of the film Rhine River

A tale of labour and industry, farmwork and produce. With stunning illustration along the way.

20. fearraigh's rating of the film Rhine River

Not quite as enthralling as Nestler's other town portraits from the same era but there is a lot to interest the viewer in this and, as in the rest of his work, there is a uneasy undertow in the film. It's as if one is repaying a visit to August Sander's subjects after they have been tainted by their experience of Nazi rule.

21. Samuel T.'s rating of the film Rhine River

There is something nonchalant about some of Nestler's films, I can't help but like them. What is there not to like? Proletarian eye candy, and the punch comes from a strange intended inconsistency or subtle abrasiveness, almost like he's playing a joke... snappy happy, oh wait, not so much. However you slice it, formalist master.

22. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Rhine River

More of the same documentary style from Nestler. A mish-mash of images, a harsh narrator and not much point to it other than a slight travelogue. Not my thing, I guess.

23. captainfez's rating of the film Rhine River

That certainly is an enthusiastic voiceover.

24. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Rhine River

Historical significant documentary, although the heroism in the verbal representation of the workers is a little bit outdated today.