1. smndvdcl's rating of the film Richard III

Demagoguery actualised by a thesp of the highest order. However, stylistic gimmicks (other than the superbly malevolent fascist parallel) of this audacious adaptation detract from Shakespeare's incendiary source material.

2. pluviosity's rating of the film Richard III

unfortunately, the Fascist-era background was held back to nothing more than sets and costumes, drown in the need of putting Shakespeare words into it. Also, although as pleasant as Ian McKellen was, but Richard III's famous paranoia was not depicted enough in this.

3. Marion Pons's rating of the film Richard III

Ian McKellen, meilleur Richard III.

4. Howard Orr's rating of the film Richard III

This version of "Richard III" cleverly grasps the precedent of fascism in Shakespeare's play; the crazy contingent chances taken by despots to gain power, and the emergence of an Early Modern citizenry in the radio age ready to be exploited by the undeniable charisma of demagoguery. But above all, Loncraine and McKellen grasp the fundamental psychological insecurity behind that demagogic power.

5. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Richard III

★★★★ "therefore, since I cannot prove a lover… I am determined to prove a villain."

6. Dionisius Amendola's rating of the film Richard III

Ladies & Gents...Shakespeare doesn't need more words!

7. Zach Closs's rating of the film Richard III

Playing Richard of Gloucester is very, very high on my bucket list. When I need to remind myself why that is, I watch this nasty, subversive blast of a film. A powerful performance, and an impeccably mounted production. A palpable sense of time and place eludes many cinematic adaptations of The Bard's work; one of the many reasons Loncraine's opus stands tall above the rest.

8. Roscoe's rating of the film Richard III

OK, mainly, some fine performances. McKellen mugs a bit too much, and some silly gimmickry (delivering a major monologue standing at a urinal, for example). The best performances are the least showy, as Maggie Smith wipes up the screen with McKellen when she gives him a chewing out that would have demolished Dick Cheney. McKellen's Richard is severly diminished after that, and he never really recovers.

9. Pierre's rating of the film Richard III

Sir Ian is mugging a bit in this film, but it's a good adaption.

10. HeadGEAR's rating of the film Richard III

A brilliant 20th Century adaptation of the Shakespeare original.