1. Log Lady's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

3.5 stars ~ Montgomery is the epitome of a cool and collected noir protagonist, who commands the scenes where he's in. Since that quality was naturally hidden in The Lady of the Lake, I wasn't aware how perfectly he would fit in this atmospheric New Mexico noir. Direction is great as well, although I wasn't fully captivated by the actual story.

2. El Biffo's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

3. Ethan's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

This is a gem of a film noir that feels so natural and has almost a nightmare quality that is both tough and delicate.

4. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Speaking of slang, there wasn't much "Riding the pink pony" in this one. Of course Pila was young, but this Robert Montgomery wasn't exactly a gentleman. He's also a bit thick headed. He's very lucky people were looking out for him.

5. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

An extra star for the title and the quirks.

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Note error: everything is in black and white.

7. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

The main guy shows throughout the story that he may just be a bit slow. I don’t think this is intentional, but something in the performance just gives off a feeling of slight mental handicap. Pancho is fun. Incredibly racist.

8. Landen Celano's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Man, in a time of THRILLS! ROMANCE! SUSPENSE!, it's fantastic to see a confident slow burn of a noir. Excellent performances. Palpable environment. Stellar script. Strange that it's final act shares similarities to Odd Man Out, considering they were released the same year - but they're equally fantastic.

9. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

10. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Stellar noir that hits all the checkboxes for me: the amount of political anxiety on honest display is captivating and uncompromising, with a punchy script, pungent atmosphere and strange, morally unsettling undercurrents. And I especially like how this is one bordertown noir where Mexicans aren't made into a threat. In fact, they're the sanest ones here—it's the white outsiders who need to get their heads straight.

11. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

A good one: Montgomery shines as actor and director in this uncommon film noir. It 's a hero's journey with a few unexpected twists. All Mexicans are portrayed with sympathy as opposed to the Americans who turn out to be violent, cynical or treacherous. It has a rather artificial look due to the studio sets, but it is shot with great technical skill and beautifully lit.

12. Jason's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Well-schooled as I am in this particular brand of post-war American fatalism, I am simply flummoxed by the fact that I have been allowed to navigate the world this long w/ Ride the Pink Horse in my blind spot. It towers. Robert Montgomery perfectly combines poise and recklessness as an actor, and I have never seen a performer laugh in this way. Wanda Hendrix is a revelation. Never seen her before. I am in loooooove.

13. film_lies101's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

Essential Noir. The character of Hugo is an obvious antecedent of Lynch's Gordon Cole

14. Dave's rating of the film Ride the Pink Horse

If nothing else, this is the coolest name for a film noir. But beyond that, this is a hard-boiled, at times ruthless, noir that deserves to be more widely seen. Pulling off outstanding efforts as both actor and director, this is Robert Montgomery’s shining moment, in my opinion.