1. Scorpio Velvet's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Pretty intense and beautiful - could be the best film about the Civil War I've ever seen.

2. HKFanatic's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

You know you're mired in the cultural wasteland of the late 90's when Ang Lee has gone from working with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet to...Skeet Ulrich and Jewel. Thankfully, Lee is aided by a stellar cast of supporting actors, including Jim Caviezel and a scene-stealing Jonathan Rhys Meyers. While the screenplay is uneven, the film remains notable for its decidedly unromantic depiction of the Civil War.

3. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

In this film the script and direction of the are in conflict with each other.The script was done a sympathetic light to the Confederacy but Ang Lee was aware of the morale dilemma in the story's sympathy to the Confederacy so he tried to counter it by showing the crimes committed by the Bushwhackers but didn't succeed because he still did not change the film's sympathy for the southern cause, atrocities or not.

4. Mark Mahaffey's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Stunning. Beautiful and even-handed. And one of the best film transfers Criterion has done.

5. Ben.'s rating of the film Ride with the Devil

One of the rare films about war that is driven by character development not by battle sequences. Here is a film that is ripe for rediscovery.

6. BrianFromConcentrate's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

The Criterion blu-ray transfer is really great. The greens just pop out in almost every frame. The battle sequences were very well done as well. I definitely enjoyed the film.

7. J. Pomp's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Strikingly well-developed characters, among other unique traits, but it can't totally escape the inherent staleness of the Civil War film. Fred Elmes' cinematography is characteristically brilliant, though...these are among the best American landscapes in recent memory. The upper third of exterior frames is generally devoid of anything but sky, reminding us of the smallness of the world in which this film takes place

8. StellaWasaDiver's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

An interesting story of the Civil War as it was experienced by the people of Missouri. But my god, was it painful to watch. The battle sequences were decent, but I just feel that this could have been done with a better cast overall, and far less of that generic mood music in every scene. Jonathan Rhys Meyers gets top honors for unbearable acting and strutting around like an 80's hair band singer. Why, Criterion!?

9. A47's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

"Is that what kind of man you are Dutchee?" I liked a lot of things about this movie. I just cant help but think Maguire's role was meant for someone else. "I knew that nubbin would be good for somethin."

10. Mike Koo's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

An unbelievably remarkable masterpiece. This is Ang Lee's epic.

11. Beneezy's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

12. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

As the aficcionate I am for the American Civil War, I will watch any movie about the subject that presents to me. However this one didn't convinced me. Surely It has some good moments and Rhys Meyers rose in my consideration, but in the end I didn't liked it as I thought I would. The worst, still, is not knowing what to blame.

13. Caden Cotard's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Right, so the message I got from Ride W/ the Devil was that because not all Southerners were assholes, the the Confederates were wrongly demonized.

14. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Boring and sympathetic defense of conformity. More interesting is the unexplored character of Pitt Mackeson, in who we see the historical origins of the Machiavellian gunslinger, the Django-like anti-hero. Corbucci, I give you the young William Munny.

15. Magus's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Its real sad that more people have seen Jewel's music video for this movie then the actual movie. I still can't convince my film snob friends to see this movie because Ulrich & Jewel are in it.

16. Matthew's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

Very disappointed in Lee. His movies are usually amazing (in my opinion) but this one failed to impress. The only great thing about this movie is Jonathan Rhys Myers with long hair.

17. Derek's rating of the film Ride with the Devil

I remember watching this movie a few years ago and not even realizing who had directed it, taking a look back at it now it kind of reminds me of the outsiders, Look at the actors that were really just getting off of their feet then but are well known stars now. I think this is a great movie, definitely very underrated.