1. SeemsLikeFun's rating of the film River's Edge

A good sort of a dark parody of 80s teen movies. The set up is a bit better than what it turns into in the last 40 or so minutes, though. Crispin Glover's performance is absolutely phenomenal and hilarious and the movie suffers for every scene his character isn't in.

2. spasmolytic's rating of the film River's Edge

Cringe-fest, but Hopper and Glover go pretty HAM so it's got that going for it.

3. thelastronaut's rating of the film River's Edge

If I would have seen this when it was released, maybe I would have been shocked. Seems a bit dated now. Keanu and Crispin are fun to watch though.

4. Jeremy Ashlyn's rating of the film River's Edge

prequel to the 80s. and Twin Peaks. and my life.

5. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film River's Edge

You can definitely see how this film may have influenced "Bully" and "Palo Alto". It's definitely a different-type of dark teen drama. Directed by Tim Hunter who wrote "Over the Edge", another awesome dark teen film, he definitely knows how to portray darkness in adolescents and the hopelessness during that time. One of the highlights is Crispen Glover's hyper performance that steals the show.

6. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film River's Edge

The "L'Étranger" for the 80s slackerdom. The nostalgic "Stand by Me" -setting is permeated with glimpses of true darkness. For a post-existentialist viewer of today, the 80s retroaesthetic packs a serious punch, as the characters dissolve in empty capitalist realism. A little cousin to "Blue Velvet".

7. kubrickhallway's rating of the film River's Edge

I’ve always felt River’s Edge was like a less weird, but somehow weirder version of Twin Peaks. It’s not really like Twin Peaks at all, though. Among other things, it’s a striking look at youth.

8. Jason's rating of the film River's Edge

It is a special gift when something comes into ones life that is both this maniacally dark and giddily silly. Interestingly: Danyi Deats, who debuted so memorably as the naked dead girl in River's Edge, has two subsequent screen credits, in which her characters are designated "Woman in Tattoo Parlour" and "Junkie." And of course Crispin Glover is the greatest conceptual-artist-as-movie-actor cinema has ever known.

9. Ethan's rating of the film River's Edge

When you think about it this is a really fucked up movie but one that poses a lot of questions about our society. Also Crispin Glover in this film is the best friend anyone would be lucky to have.

10. JMKE's rating of the film River's Edge

11. Gustavo Razera's rating of the film River's Edge

The tone is all over the place, technically the filmmaking itself couldn't be more uninteresting and the disparity in the quality and style of the performances is jarring. Recommended for those who can stomach Crispin Glover's stylized actorly antics.

12. animalcalls's rating of the film River's Edge

13. dave gunn's rating of the film River's Edge

This is a halfway decent film about the youth's desensitized perception of death. The nonchalance and indifference, if not entertainment, as a result of death is a very realistic portrayal, even twenty or so years later. Crispin Glover was surprisingly great in this. You're better off seeing Bully instead, but this is an '80s gem.

14. paulparadiis's rating of the film River's Edge

15. KafkaesqueKyle's rating of the film River's Edge

Super good. Seems like a mix between My Own Private Idaho and At Close Range. I love all three, but this is my least favorite of them. Still a favorite though!

16. Aymerik Martin Derome's rating of the film River's Edge

17. claudiaaraujo's rating of the film River's Edge

[Watched on 15/11 - 2.5 stars] A mix between Heathers and Stand by Me. It was enjoyable even thought it wasn't great. Brownie points for wardrobe and Keanu Reeves.

18. adina's rating of the film River's Edge

But hey, 5 stars for the costume team.

19. Christian Sinclair's rating of the film River's Edge

20. Tara Violet's rating of the film River's Edge

californian desolation, teenage boredom there is something so great about its style, a sort of ugliness that's almost sophisticated. you can't completely relate to the way the characters think and feel and yet you understand them. keanu reeves is strangely strong in the film, depicting well confusion, moral conflicts, and self-discovery. a film that is deceptively smart.

21. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film River's Edge

"I don't like killing people, but sometimes it's necessary". Amazingly well-paced and insightful portrait of 80's droputs generation with brilliant role of Dennis Hopper, one of his best fresh start roles. I enjoyed Daniel Roebuck's creation as well.

22. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film River's Edge

I went to school with this guy who was clearly a sociopath; he told people he shot and killed his dog for fun and sexually harassed everyone regardless of sex and looked like a malicious goblin. Kind of like the characters in this movie. This was a bit too intense and close to life for me. I've never been involved in a murder, but I sadly know people like these mooks. It's pretty tragic.

23. NiteFlight9's rating of the film River's Edge

The bleak tone in this cynical depiction of teenagers is fantastic.

24. Mark Garrett's rating of the film River's Edge

As the anti-John Hughes film statement of the 80's, all Hunter does is give the other (wrong) extreme that all chocks up to a "kids today" kind of empty supposition.