Para disfrutar de una experiencia mejor en MUBI, Actualiza tu buscador

1. ejonline's rating of the film Rize

Watching somebody krump is really amazing for the first five minutes. Then less so as it begins to seem really repetitive. So too with this movie.

2. Adam GR's rating of the film Rize

I enjoy David LaChapelle as an artist. Almost always controversial, I think his reverence for subjects shines through as fantastical. I like the weird, concise form of this documentary; the hi-res krumping montage at the end seemed to allow victory for a dance team that was "robbed" earlier in the film. The camera gets quite close to characters but remains silent save for style. Trust is evident, I think. Baby Lil C!

3. gfxalchemist's rating of the film Rize

What I find appealing about this documentary is witnessing and listening to the impressions of the participants as to how their art form has had an effect on their lives As a viewer I could feel the importance and passion for their art form. As an older individual whom saw the birth and rise of break dancing, this film reminds me of the need for that creative expression from that time.

4. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Rize

I wish I could have seen this and then Rouch’s The Mad Masters, while channel-surfing on the VHF dial, both for the first time, late at night on a Friday or Saturday. But I’m happy to have seen them both within weeks of each other. Thank you, MUBI.

5. James's rating of the film Rize

6. Jerrell Hobor's rating of the film Rize

Rize was a good movie providing a push and pull between bloods and crips throughout the movie. The competitive sport of crunking takes the scene in the streets of L.A changing their culture. This is a interesting twist on a dance movie to take place in the hood and make it competitive between two sides that society knows so well through gangs. This makes it thrilling and easy to pick up for any viewer.

7. Dallas Kennedy's rating of the film Rize

Where there is no love, you make love. Being a light where darkness seems endless is exactly what the youth of South Central, L.A. did. Understanding the violence in their community, they did something about it and came together. This documentary is so enlightening and powerful, it teaches you to look past what you think you know. Crumping isn't textbook dancing and that's why you appreciate it. Its raw, it's real.

8. Khary Khalfani's rating of the film Rize

Travel back in time and experience a taste of early 2000's inner city African American culture. Krump dancing harnesses the passion and energy of African dance and packages it into a unique urban trend with explosive potential. The film could have benefited from better structuring, historical context, and explanations. Due to this, the film comes off as a montage of dancing clips rather than a true documentary.

9. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Rize

I love dance. You can't just go in and krump. Krumpin changes every day. You'd look like a fool krumpin to last weeks krump. In the battle of the clowning and krumpin nobody is a loser. The battles are my favorite part. Little shout out to EJ there at the end.

10. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Rize

These stars are for the culture, not necessarily the production. This kind of exposure comes with a double edge sword...on the one hand it helped several of the performers/creators of the art form build their careers in ways that are far from insignificant. On the other, it has led to the commercialization, objectification and ossification of black culture. The threat and seduction of the white gaze is a constant.

11. Loz Loory's rating of the film Rize

The dancing is phenomenal. So much better than whatever "street dance" makes it into the "Step Up" movies. So much energy & spirit despite systemic racism stifling people educationally and economically because of the color of their skin. The structure of the film feels a bit unbalanced; wish there was more of the slo-mo dance footage at the beginning, before Tommy the Clown, as well as more historical perspective.

12. jeromey's rating of the film Rize

High energy and heartbreak around the struggle to achieve a meaningful life against difficult odds.

13. Kenneth Gentry's rating of the film Rize

"We're gonna rise no matter what."

14. Rochian MCcorkle's rating of the film Rize

This amazing visionary dance film made accessible not only by the back story of these abitous and oppressed dancers but also byt the craze that changed the dance world for ever. A true work of art and a board insite into a community that sucks you right into spirtually moving world.

15. www.tinyurl.com/amethystos's rating of the film Rize