1. FISCHER's rating of the film Romance

>>> Une oeuvre incontournable, inaboutie, dérangeante et pourtant magnifique... www.cinefiches.com

2. Chearth's rating of the film Romance

3. Borislav's rating of the film Romance

It was exactly what I expected – a film exploring love, sexuality, desire... It‘s provocative, which I personally liked and consider as a positive. The characters were intriguing and believable to me.

4. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film Romance

An uncompromised portrait on female sexuality and desire, this film was one of the first in European cinema to show explicit sex scenes. But what I like the most about it is the poetic tone and the exploration of female emotional and sexual psique. Beautifully shot, amazing performance from the main actress.

5. ant's rating of the film Romance

Well shot, well acted, somewhat intriguing but absolutely pointless

6. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Romance

Nice portrait of a woman in search of her own, but it's that same old story, you're not gonna find redemption through sex lenses.

7. Zanna Walsh's rating of the film Romance

He was a tosser, and she should've dumped him. We wait the entire film to see that they have a white cat to match their white furniture and clothing. I don't think so. With so little action happening in that bed, that cat would've been on it in every scene. And that ending! It was like another film had popped by. It's a NON from moir.

8. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Romance

An okay film, exploring some very adult themes, is improved somewhat by a great, dark, ending. Catherine Breillat may not be entirely successful here, but the end result is at least interesting and thought-provoking.

9. Luke Corradine's rating of the film Romance

positively better than Anatomy of Hell. Catherine Ducey is phenomenal. An extremely brave performance no doubt!

10. Charles Corn's rating of the film Romance

Forget 'show don't tell' - Breillat tells, shows, then tells again just in case you didn't get it. Interesting and often successful as a feminist exploration of sexuality, but more often frustrating and unengaging.

11. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Romance

There's a weird sort of passivity to the women in Breillat's films. They won't take responsibility for the adultery they participate in. The husbands are good-looking, but not interested in sex. It's the ugly men who succeed. They converse in the same banal rationalizations you'd expect from a 13 year old. The sophistry on display would be amusing were it not so pathetic.

12. Simon Tudge's rating of the film Romance

Sex is sex and love is love and never the twain shall meet. Breillat’s 'Romance' is an uncomfortable, yet at times poignant, exploration of love and sex, which acts as a refreshing counterpoint to a male dominated, and ultimately deeply conservative, portrayal of sex in Hollywood.

13. Superfrog's rating of the film Romance

I really liked the Rohmer like bits in the first 15 minutes. And it is pretty well shot. Keeping aside the contents for the end, the rest is a wreck as rarely seen before. And the essentialist and generalising dull as fuck sexual behaviour analysis is just pointless, here only to sustain an unsustainable story. Or as was said to Odile Deraie "Madame, je n'écrirai rien sur ce film, c'est une merde". Prefer red is dead

14. Tja's rating of the film Romance

This is a very french, cooley erotic take on the complexity of hetero relationships.Boy loves girl but can't do it; girl loves boy but keeps getting confused in between sucking his reluctant member and engaging in a little light bondage with her primary school headteacher and other carnal encounters. Minimalist approach to dialogue and no music adds to the intensity. Tasteful display of interior designer lighting...

15. anthony's rating of the film Romance

watched first 20 minutes.from that I learnt men and women enjoy sex...didnt feel confident I would learn anything more from the film and apart from a very fine 280 SL was frighteningly dull.

16. trixiemartin's rating of the film Romance

pretty dull. some interesting visual juxtapositions but mostly just an annoying, meandering tale of a woman getting fucked over, but not fucked, by her lame boyfriend.

17. Hugo Sypniewski-D'Argantel's rating of the film Romance

Undoubtedly, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Made with no overall message, no sense, empty, with no content. Composed of prolonged, long-winded pretentious monologues by main female character. Poor screenplay and badly directed. Never again.

18. saitosouta's rating of the film Romance

I always love to see how Japan is represented through a foreign perspective & for me "Romance" is a kind of so-ludicrous-so-good type. It starts from infamous "阪急電車(Hankyu-densya, train's name)" cloth, goes forward with protagonist's boyfriend reading Bukowski in Japanese restaurant called "Tampopo"(Why Bukowski there???) & ends with Kimono! Japanese bondage! Abe Sada! Awakining of eros! The movie itself is.....nah.

19. Steve G.'s rating of the film Romance

"Why do you like it?" he asks as she plays with his plonker. "Because it's like a little bird in my hand," she replies. Imagine if you saw one of those flying past your bedroom window.

20. C's rating of the film Romance

21. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Romance

Second Breillat film I see, and I get more and more convinced she's quite adept at filming her own musings on sex in a very unpretentious way, because none of it amounts to a grand, righteous statement on human behavior. Instead opting for humor and a visually impressive set piece for both arguments and attitude, this is like going through a personal diary depicting events and fantasies simply as they happen.

22. Jim Fear's rating of the film Romance

She reminds me of a girl I met on a sadomasochist sex club.

23. C'est Bastien's rating of the film Romance