1. ardi's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

I liked it a lot. Wish there were more movies like this here at MUBI.

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Excellente interprétation du toujours magistral Lionel Barrymore, dans le rôle du maladif puritain dévasté par les élancements de la chair qui va chercher par tous les moyens à détruire la jeune femme, pour lui une évidente incarnation du Mal... www.cinefiches.com

3. Jorge's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

8/10 Muy buena pelicula, la historia esta interesante y pasa de la comedia a la tragedia como pocas, que gran actriz. 828

4. Joseph Davila's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

An entertaining film that is a masterclass in performance and character, and that I will watch at least one more time.

5. Andrés Bonelli's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Tremendamente divertida de principio a fin. Una obra maestra.

6. Magic Lantern Alison's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

It all happens with a couple of characters and one location. Good drama.

7. Dominic Rainsford's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Loosely scripted, and, for once, this is a silent that might have been better with sound, but GS and her nose are great.

8. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Despite her seductive eyes and sexy profile, Gloria Swanson's attempt at play acting a hard-as-knocks San Francisco whore stranded in the South Seas is thoroughly unconvincing. If you really want to see Sadie Thompson fight the devil, go check out Joan Crawford's rendition of this same role four year's later in 1932's Rain (youtube it). Quite simply one of the great performances of early cinema. Sorry Gloria.

9. SpacePirate's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Swanson's pinnacle silent. A film that holds up quite well today. Recommended.

10. Emily O's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

really interesting at times, but also drawn out morality and overall jus kinda creepy

11. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

A good one. Gloria Swanson is so over the top you can hear it. Thats what makes a silent movie great i guess, must have been an awkward transition into the "talkies" for her.

12. Leco's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

I must confess that the turn we get in the final moments of it got this movie a better evaluation from me, behavioral differences from that time to nowadays cast aside, of course. I'm no silent era expert, but I'd say nothing much about Swanson here. I'd prefer to focus on the biased morale (infected, better put) of the self righteous reformer and the bold criticism on that time, as well as some of Walsh's skills.

13. Mírcio Alves Amaral's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Great perfomance from Gloria Swanson and Lionel Barrymore.

14. darth_david@msn.com's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Una historia muy sencilla pero bien ejecutada.

15. Alex Khype's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Obra maestra del cine mudo, esta película ofrece una actuación espectacular de Gloria Swanson. Después de verla, la línea final de _Sunset Boulevard_, "I'm really for my close up", cobra totalmente sentido.

16. cacaro's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

17. Wee Liat Tan's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Great performances from the 2 leads. Even without sound, the actors were able to convey a wide range of emotions. The plot must be somewhat of a controversy in its day.

18. Ayesha Casely-Hayford's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Great to see such a witty strong female character, don't make them like this anymore. A funny and good film.

19. Ben Dooley's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

This pre-code chamber play has fun-loving Swanson in a hostel in the South Seas with a Christian reformer who wants her to return to an unfair prison sentence in San Francisco; his lecherous attraction suggests what she has escaped. Economic storytelling in the romance with the soldier. But there's much 'art' too: in original images, mobile camera and Swanson's electrifyingly intense, expressionistic performance.

20. janh24's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Full of style and wit, but does not offer enough originality to be considered a true great.

21. Neyann's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Loved the music. Sadie was so sassy! I'm not a big fan of silent film, but this one I liked a lot. I will definitely check out other Swanson's films.

22. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Wow what a treat of a story! Funny to see dynamics of a century ago are plainly the same we see today.

23. Storm KMB Moon's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

This turned out to be a fairly gripping watch, with captivating performances from the leads. The addition of the ending was sensitively done for the most part. Sadie herself is a vivacious, plucky character who's easy to watch and root for. Some of the sensibilities are certainly peculiar for a modern viewer, but it's an enjoyable slice of cinema history.

24. Mirkle's rating of the film Sadie Thompson

Gosh she's good - a veritable force of nature, her sex appeal is so out there she knocks Lady Ga Ga into a cocked hat. Those damned titles irritated the hell out of me everytime they got in the way - and why so long? Did people read more slowly in those days?