1. Aida's rating of the film Salesman

Maysles on Brennan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rF8Uo5rEw

2. miles's rating of the film Salesman

COol little documentary, those guys gotta fight hard to sell!

3. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Salesman

The Maysles' (and co.) paint another picture of America, but instead of portraits of high class dropouts (Grey Gardens) or hippie nightmare landscapes (Gimme Shelter), they focus their brush on the working class of the States. In this instance, that happens to be door to door bible salesmen. The documentary is interesting, but nearly as much as the previously mentioned films. Still, a solid work.

4. Elle Johnston's rating of the film Salesman

I love the Maysles but this is their weakness film.

5. boughtabride's rating of the film Salesman

did you know they sold bibles for 50 dollars in the 60s? the first maysle brothers documentary i'm seeing. it simultaneously made me want these men to really sell these bibles to these poor people so they could make a living but also get the hell out of their lives because that is absolutely absurd. it's like an indie film. something that's abstractly uninteresting is strangely gripping, to me.

6. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Salesman

A unique flavor of Bible bitterness here. You can see some of these guys losing their way-- drifting out to sea, unremarked.

7. Nathan Goldman's rating of the film Salesman

"I guess that's the thing in everything. If you don't scoop it up, you don't win, huh?" I have minor issues about the fly-on-the-wall Maysles style here—not that I think it's ethically dubious, just that I was slightly distracted by questions of what I wasn't seeing, how the filmmakers' presence affected the affair

8. yasdnil's rating of the film Salesman

Great documentary. For its time, it was shedding light on an aspect of religion not many considered: business. Consumerism. I was slightly disturbed with the guilt tactic used, where people are reduced for being unable to afford a bible. Rich or poor, religion is something people can always cling to - and of course, some religious institutions (as well as businesses) will use that to their advantage.

9. Joe Oviedo's rating of the film Salesman

Vivo de ganas de ver esta película. ¿Alguien sabe como puedo conseguirla? Ya que estoy seguro que no estará en las 30 películas que puedo ver al mes seguramente nunca. jajaja Does anyone know how can I get this movie?

10. Angel's rating of the film Salesman

Couldn't help but think of Death of a Salesman while watching this. The Willy Loman type who says "Sometimes it's not a spark you need but an explosion." Bibles are what seem to be being sold, but in the end the product they sell is themselves.

11. Richard Allen Morton's rating of the film Salesman

Does anyone know the subsequent life of Paul Brennan "The Badger?" He looks so weary and jaded at the end of the film, I suspect he did not live long, but I could be wrong. ?????

12. Dan Calladine's rating of the film Salesman

This is a brilliant, beautifully shot film. If you've ever been a salesman, or been to a sales conference, watch it!

13. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Salesman

★★★★★ not even the most sacred capitalistic dream survives the change.

14. Xose Manoel Ramos's rating of the film Salesman

Os irmáns Maysles falan con Thurman Capote, e fan esta obra de arte. E eu tiven a ocasión de escoitar ó propio Albert Maysles falando de ela.

15. lucetteveen's rating of the film Salesman

touching & insightful...how sad it is to see so many people obviously yearning for communion (with art, with God, with other people) reduced to mere consumers by a dispassionate and spiritually bankrupt enterprise, and how sad to see individuals made into the increasingly reluctant agents of a destructive process out of (what is hinted to be) financial necessity. ennui abounds.

16. Sudipto Basu's rating of the film Salesman

This gets to the core of the human condition. And that sounds so inadequate.

17. er_sagt's rating of the film Salesman

Interesting film, one of the best character studies. Salesmen echos modern times boldly, people just want to connect and survive--the salesmen will go to any length to sell an unnecessary product and the individuals will invite anyone into their home who will give them the time of day. Given safety and society has shifted a bit, the key pieces are still the same. Well worth the watch.

18. Øyvind Rype's rating of the film Salesman

Very enjoyable, although it could've worked better as a short film.

19. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Salesman

More than 40 years after its release, SALESMAN is an interesting account of the American life in the late 60's. Not once is the word Vietnam pronounced during the film. I liked the scene with the man playing Yesterday on a tape recorder while one of the salesmen is about to have the contract signed by the man's wife. Also great is the speech of a vice-director justifying his business by quoting the Bible.

20. cutey-cat's rating of the film Salesman

This is nothing less than a document of the death of the great American hunter-gatherer, one failed sale at a time.

21. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Salesman

"Now if anyone else gets off base with me...I'ma tag 'em out!" What an asshole Great doc tho.

22. Jonuk Who's rating of the film Salesman

One of a selected handful of films that I can genuinely say has changed my life. The film really touched me and spoke to me in an intimate way, seeing the miserable bible salesman made me realize how unhappy I was at a job I was working at, and I left it shortly after seeing Salesman.

23. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Salesman

The Maysles brothers and Charlotte Zwerin's documentary portrait of down-and-out Bible salesmen brilliantly conveys an atmosphere of desperation - with its effective, gritty black and white photography and fascinating characters. Despite some very compelling moments, it does go on too long (it gets off to a very slow start) and never quite reaches the heights you'd expect it to. Still, a very interesting documentary.

24. David Tinkham's rating of the film Salesman

A beautifully filmed documentary shot through with humanity and care for the individuals that it follows, something that most modern documentary makers miss in their pursuit of the cheap laugh or shock. The final scenes of the film, with Paul visibly coming apart at the seams and giving up, is one of the most heart-breaking moments I've seen.