1. msmichel's rating of the film Santa sangre

A Jodorowsky film actually focused on story makes for an unique watch in his filmography. Mind you one can clearly see it is a work by this iconoclast filmmaker as the surrealistic touches and bizarre sensuality are well present. Some haunting sequences and some gonzo performances also make this a standout.

2. Luca's rating of the film Santa sangre

so bad that my dvd player literally crushed about minute 70. Quite pissed off by this but It couldn't get any better I suppose, total trash

3. Andre's rating of the film Santa sangre

A movie made of nothing but unforgettable images. Artificial, disgusting, surreal, sensual, hilarious, ridiculous, terrifying, heartbreaking...the symbolism works because it's so sincere and direct. A geuine treasure

4. Elena Boldor's rating of the film Santa sangre

Such a tedious movie! I’ve expected way more than this.

5. Nachtreich's rating of the film Santa sangre

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Santa sangre

Why is everyone so crazy about this. I really had to force myself through. The freak show thing is only vaguely entertaining, the attempts to shock fall flat, the gore gratuitous...

7. BUSTER TIERNEY's rating of the film Santa sangre

Toujours aussi surprenant, dérangeant, spectaculaire et délirant... ce Jodo ! Je me demande si je n'ai pas vu un panda passer...? En tout cas, il y en avait un dans la salle de cinéma ou devant son écran !

8. BUTTAUD's rating of the film Santa sangre

The subject is so insane but some images are beautiful...

9. Pierre.F's rating of the film Santa sangre

Un grand film avec un univers très cohérent et très bien campé. La caméra, très mobile, colle à l'action. L'art de Jodorowsky, c'est de nous faire entrer dans l'univers mental de ce schizophrène qui vit sous l'imago de sa mère. La poésie se mêle au crime, le sang à la joie. Il demeure qu'une impression d'inquiétante étrangeté qui parcourt tout le film.

10. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Santa sangre

Alcuni momenti sono da 4 stelle

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Santa sangre

12. Eric Eidelstein's rating of the film Santa sangre

Grotesque, sad, and really unnerving. Also really (and surprisingly) human and tender. I'm not the biggest Jodorowsky fan, but this film doesn't feel like it's meandering in the way some of his others do.

13. FISCHER's rating of the film Santa sangre

Impossible de résumer brièvement l'intrigue de ce poème cinématographique à connotation divine et satanique à la fois. Une parade incongrue, magique, sublime... www.cinefiches.com

14. Meastro0's rating of the film Santa sangre

15. Johnny Mislow's rating of the film Santa sangre

Standard genius effort from Jodorowski. Missed seeing a movie from him. Always refreshing, no matter how "old"

16. Rebecca Lynn Johnson's rating of the film Santa sangre

This film played out like a Spanish "Psycho," a young man is haunted by his dead mother and has made him a prisoner inside his own mind(arms); forced to kill under her demand. Jodorowsky uses brilliant imagery and style to bring this gruesome tale to life.

17. DenoResandono's rating of the film Santa sangre

I forgot how many times I said "what the f*ck" while watching this film...

18. Luca Soldati's rating of the film Santa sangre

Ambientato in un ambiente malato, viene seguita la crescita psicologica del protagonista. Bel crescendo horror, fino al bel finale che mostra come dal degrado nascano mostri.La società è abbandonata, con sacche di povertà irrecuperabili.La regia è curata e caratterizza bene l'ambientazione.Fotografia evocativa e messa in scena originale e visionaria. Personaggi folli e caratterizzati, che inquietano e creano emapatia

19. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Santa sangre

Hallucinogenic. You probably don't need artificial means of hallucinating to appreciate this film; Sr. Jodorowsky has done the heavy lifting for you. It hasn't aged all that well (80s hair was the same everywhere, wasn't it?). I found myself rooting for Fenix and Alma, so the ending is both beautiful and bittersweet. I haven't yet seen other Jodorowsky films, but to me the sensibility seems similar to Emir Kusturica.

20. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Santa sangre

Shows us that even with bad acting and bad special effects, a director's commitment to his vision can overpower the negatives and craft a truly wonderful cinematic story. Some truly arresting images (the elephant scene along with Fenix's metaphorical dream was incredible)! This film is also an example of an ending that is utterly satisfying and essential in tying up the characters and story. Wonderful.

21. mpho3's rating of the film Santa sangre

"[In Santa Sangre] Jodorowsky has married magic realism to Freud, in a film that is like a shriek against Momism." - Roger Ebert. I must say I vastly prefered El Topo and Holy Mountain. Santa Sangre's biggest trangression is its relentless, too loud soundtrack. It's second is the latter half's shift in tone. 3.5 stars.

22. Robert H. Stevens's rating of the film Santa sangre

Perhaps Jodorowsky's most focused film. It feels like much more of a horror film with some Jodorowsky touches than a Jodorowsky film. A very unique and surprisingly scary horror film from the freakout master himself. Definitely worth a view if you have time!

23. David R Williams's rating of the film Santa sangre

(P)sychedelic splatter. Roger Ebert wrote: "I am reminded by Alejandro Jodorowsky that true psychic horror is possible on the screen--horror, poetry, surrealism, psychological pain and wicked humor, all at once." Horror for adults.

24. Tisa's rating of the film Santa sangre

The impression this film made on me upon release was of five-star intensity and remained so with repeat viewings (two?) over the years, but that's faded just a little now. Still, in 1989 Santa Sangre helped set the stage for my developing tastes, and is a fascinating and horrific visual paean to the porous borders of time and language, sin and spirit, the State and our collective Imaginaries.

← Previous 1 3 4 5