1. Aaron Fooshée's rating of the film Satan's Brew

“That is the finest humiliation: to expose oneself to an inferior.”

2. Matthew Jenner's rating of the film Satan's Brew

I wondered why this film was called "Satan's Brew" - now I realize that it was a literal title. Oh Rainer, how did this happen? How do you go from making the extraordinary "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul", a terrific social drama, to this steaming pile of over-acted, self-indulgent, grotesque debauchery? Frequently confusing and consistently nauseating, it tries to be profound but results in an utter mess. Despicable

3. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Satan's Brew

"Yesterday when I was mad/ And quite prepared to give up everything/ Admitting, I don't believe/ In anyone's sincerity/ And that's what's really got to me" (Pet Shop Boys, 'Yesterday When I Was Mad') "My life’s a drama I can’t deny/ I want to have sex with flies/ But when I try I am too big/ I stick it in and they don’t live" (The Tiger Lillies, 'Flies')

4. mubianer's rating of the film Satan's Brew

One of Fassbinder's weakest. Quite funny from time to time. But often annoying as well. 2.5.

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Walter Kranz, autrefois célèbre comme poète de la Révolution mène désormais une vie médiocre entre sa femme hystérique et son frère, simple d'esprit. Il n'écrit plus rien depuis longtemps, mais l'inspiration lui revient en assassinant sa maîtresse. D'une incroyable noirceur ! www.cinefiches.com

6. Ricardo Branco's rating of the film Satan's Brew

the protagonist is unbearable; it puts you to test 'cause you have to listen to him yell throughout the whole thing.

7. Odile~'s rating of the film Satan's Brew

8. Jim Pan Z's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Four stars. STARS STARS STARS!

9. Eugene Kotlyarenko's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Devastating. Sent me into a tailspin. A revelation on the exploitation and insanity hard wired into the creative struggle and our capitalist society.

10. Stevie's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Kurt Raab is literally astonishing in this and Volker Spengler amazes in yet another weird role.

11. alcools's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Brillant. Fassbinder mokiert sich in so grotesker Weise über den rücksichtslosen 'Künstlertypen'. Ein Hoch auf Fassbinder. Was wäre der deutsche Film ohne ihn? Nur der Bruder mit den Fliegen und dem ''Ficken'' - da hätte Fassbinder einfallsreicher sein können. Die Szene, in der Walter erbost gegen den Kofferraum tritt und ''Faschisten! Faschisten!'' ruft? Selten habe ich mich in einer Filmszene so gut wiedererkannt.

12. Byron N's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Unmitigated megalomania at its frenetic best. Plus, Kurt Raab is hotter than any vacuous, pretty-boy actor in Hollywood by a country mile.

13. Knut Morte's rating of the film Satan's Brew

14. DSPRKY's rating of the film Satan's Brew

This is probably the most madcap movie I've ever seen.

15. ZYNAB's rating of the film Satan's Brew

kurt raab deserved all the awards in existence for this performance

16. lukasbicho's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Puede que todo sea una fasa, un esperpento, pero la verdad es que cuesta llegar al final de esta burla (¿al espectador? ¿al alemán con ínfulas?), cuesta entender algunos chistes privados, y mantenerse en ese clima malsano y ridículo a la vez. "Tengo que cambiar mi vida", se repite el protagonista. ¡Tengo que abandonar la sala! (y menos mal que fue gratis...).

17. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Satan's Brew

One of Fassbinder's weirdest.

18. coin diluvien's rating of the film Satan's Brew

the most dull, pointlessly hysterical dark comedy i've even seen.

19. Lucas Davies's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

20. Checkpoint Charlie's rating of the film Satan's Brew

I've seen a few people refer to this as Fassbinder's worst film, but honestly I think it's pretty intelligent and though not in the traditional form of a "funny-ha-ha" comedy it has its own brand of black humor within Kranz's many trails to ultimate creative identity.

21. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Satan's Brew

Crowning self-delusion, cruelty and debasement with precise musical anarchy.