1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Bergman veers into Fellini territory. It's an early work, and has a lot of the melodrama from that period.

2. Nachtreich's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

3. Rice Dream Girl's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Alienation, pariahdom. Very nice.

4. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

5. Ethan's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

This is a nice little gem from Bergman.

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Sur le thème de la fragilité et la pérennité du sentiment amoureux, un constat lucide, pessimiste et sombre sur la nature humaine, qui reste une oeuvre inoubliable... www.cinefiches.com

7. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

3 (maybe 3.5). Interesting at a character level, but not nearly as evocative or heavy as Bergman's best films. Bergman kind of evokes his existentialist nature by the way he plays the traveling circus metaphor, but the themes don't really transcend humiliated masculinity and maternally stifling romantic relationships. That being said, it is interesting at a character level; and it does have emotional power.

8. Joel's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

A delightfully rewarding early Bergman film. Fuller and more strangely more populated for those us more familiar with Bergman's island films, less isolationist and claustrophobic but still brimming with loneliness and loss, play-like in it's dialogues on love lost and longed for.

9. Stefano Pedrocchi's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Shining revelation of the Bergman-Nykvist to come.

10. Aardsy's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

11. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

12. teresa romã's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

O circo como parábola. A batalha entre o artesão e o artista, o popular e o elitista, pequenos mundos e a realidade que o cerca. Maravilhoso, incrível, brilhante.

13. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Lo mejor de "Noche de circo" es su inicio, sobre uno de los personajes narrando la historia de una pareja de esposos. Esta se cuenta con una estética de cine silente (del soviético), tanto por el encuadre dramático como por el mutismo. Ella exhibiéndose, él yendo a su búsqueda. Ambos humillados, pero amándose. De eso va también el resto de la historia. Es la historia de amantes frustrados y de apariencia trágica.

14. Ramona Arsene's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

"You must love me. I beg you." Oh, isn't love the most pathetic circus of all?

15. Peter Lewis's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Bergman's meditation on the nature of being. How everyone is trapped in their own worlds and to go on must find a way to accept themselves as they are within fantasy and reality. Unhappiness and sorrow are not tragic but a fact of life and just as necessary as joy and love are. The camera work and sound design are a joy to experience - probably near perfect. This is Bergman reaching out with the power of performance.

16. Darwin Franks's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. A perfect film from first frame to last in every department: performance, writing, directing, score, sound, editing, custome, production design, lighting and camera...O the camera.

17. John Trigonis's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

I agree with Tom; Sawdust and Tinsel is by far my absolute favorite Bergman film!

18. PRISONER_69's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

Feeling Trapped and Locked Out With No Way In. Interesting Faces Always In His Movies

19. Silvia Bombardini's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

The sharpness of this reel fills me with joy. So does Harriet's hairy armpit.

20. εξώτερο Διάστημα's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

21. Christopher R. Smith's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

An excellent tense and atmospheric character drama from Bergman, an early collaboration with cinematographer Sven Nykvist, whose black and white work here is superb. Simply stunning performances, particularly by Ake Gronberg and Harriet Andersson. A classic.

22. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

The scene at the beginning with the clown and his wife is one of the best I've ever seen.

23. HomemDeBarro's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

My first Bergman. The one that made my heart stop. For me this is amazing and nothing less. The scene that really made me dive into this was the scene where the clown points the gun at is head - Amazing passion and delivery. I really prefer the origins of an artist, because latter he will develop much harder masks to uncover - we all do. This is raw Bergman and it's beautiful.

24. Zachary George Najarian-Najafi's rating of the film Sawdust and Tinsel

An important film in Bergman's development as an artist, but really nothing more. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, it was just too stagy and contrived. I can only recommend this to Bergman completists. Like myself.