1. beepea's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Good as horror! I think of the string of ‘The Underground Man’ protagonists in literature and film, arriving at depression/disenchantment from narcissism, our Criss Cross. Lang saves me from this hooey at the pace of the line at the DMV.

2. ΞRIC B∆Ɖ TASTΞ's rating of the film Scarlet Street

3. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Dark and hopeless from the very beginning. No happy ending here I'm afraid.

4. bryanvmh's rating of the film Scarlet Street

What a wonderfully bizarre noir that has more art critics than gangsters. Edward G. Robinson is a very queer sort of fellow in this one, and his post-Code punishment is perhaps the most fantastical I have seen. Softly whisper "Jeepers I love you Johnny" to me all night herr Lang.

5. Carlos Pineda's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Definitivamente, Lang dirigía muy bien: las escenas con el cuchillo son muy buenas, el uso del travelling y el control de los actores. Además, se saltó el código Hays...y la crítica al arte moderno es muy inteligente. Muy buen guion.

6. Ric O's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Fritz Lang, a master at work.

7. dorusan's rating of the film Scarlet Street

The quiet torment of a man that has not seen loss, love and break-up. All these naive ideas spawn from too much introverted recurrence of idealistic romance and loss of grip on reality.

8. The Accidental Film Club (Paul)'s rating of the film Scarlet Street

Now THAT was bloody brilliant! A noir like no noir I'd ever seen before, with a low down - and conflicted - working class femme fatale. And what and ending! Bedad, how had this escaped my attention for so long?

9. guillermo's rating of the film Scarlet Street

You can see this film all the times you want. It´ll always be good. Lazy legs, the pimp, the innocent good old man. It´s naive, but in perfect balance. Beautiful frames, great acting, great direction.

10. Seesaw's rating of the film Scarlet Street

A storytelling, written by camera.

11. dan's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Good dialog and acting,ultimately entertaining but only that.I think thats common in that era, especially with film noir. There are plot holes as much as in Swiss cheese,eg 1)why C,otherwise naive and honest would lie about what he did, 2) the trial is a farce(is there any evidence K was a painter,why didn't J testify in defense that they were caught by C)3)could anyone become a great artist by painting in a toilet?

12. dionysus67's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Even though the pessimistic universe of the German phase urban crime thrillers is toned down, the metaphysics of evil is just as palpable despite the well-known barriers. The second part generates most of the visual rewards and the superimpositions as well as the darkened urban milieu convey superbly Chris' descent into psychic and social isolation. The deceptions in mise-en-scène bear the great master's signature.

13. Isaac's rating of the film Scarlet Street

O fato desse filme ter sido banido em três cidades nos EUA já é suficiente para comprovar o quão chocante, sombrio e amoral é este filme para os padrões da época. Até em seus momentos cômicos, é um filme perverso, que gradualmente vai entrando numa tormenta até o desfecho, onde a escuridão engole tudo. Boas atuações, direção, edição de som e história. Um film noir bem tenso, onde diferentes paixões são mortais.

14. Xphilo Liranzo's rating of the film Scarlet Street

15. Erklgh's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Arte, Suggar daddies, amor no correspondido, suicidios fallidos... un film hecho para el publico del 2018 !!!

16. jaigrudevaom's rating of the film Scarlet Street

you have to sacrifice something when you are in love even if you are in love with evil or money or past or youth. there goes his masterpiece about morality, his dreams about youth.

17. Danny Mansfield's rating of the film Scarlet Street

18. Stefano Campagna's rating of the film Scarlet Street

19. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Edward G. Robinson get manipulated on screen so wonderfully by femme fatale Joan Bennett that I can't turn away from it. Only the moralistic ending put there by Hollywood producers ruin an almost perfect film.

20. Trevor L. Charles's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Really well done, but so depressing.

21. whimisical melancholy's rating of the film Scarlet Street

a fucking amazing femme fatale // 3.5

22. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Scarlet Street

23. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Scarlet Street

24. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Scarlet Street

Since I knew this movie is a remake of Jean Renoir's La Chienne, I expected to hate it. But I have to admit it works better as a film noir. If only they had kept the original ending, it would've been a true masterpiece. But I guess with the melodramatic nature of 1940s noir and the Hays code tyranny, keeping the cynical, morally ambiguous ending was just unthinkable.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7