1. Thomas's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Warm-hearted downbeat drama. The humour is bone dry and captures Schultz's resignation, freedom and, ultimately, contentment with an unglorified optimism.

2. JL's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Horst Krause makes a highly relatable character at the end of his working life and at a loss for what comes next. Some have called it bleak and melancholic, but it manages to stay humorous and heart warming in moments as well. A genuine portrait of the simple pleasures in a finite life.

3. Adam Chapman's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Occasionally you watch a film that reaffirms why cinema is such a gift - it's ability to articulate the nuances of human emotion. Schultze Gets The Blues has it in spades; exploring our capacity for empathy and above all our need for human connection - a warm reminder that our differences are marginal compared to our similarities.

4. lemmontage's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

5. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

He's like eine kartofeln mit keine salz, but he's very cute hahah

6. DanB3000's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

A sweet film about a retired German salt miner who goes on a voyage of discovery. A few of the characters and scenes are a little cliched but this one is worth watching.

7. alimcintyre's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

A very different kind of comedy with some wonderful understated performances, not least from Horst Krause in the title role which, for me, had shades of the great Oliver Hardy.

8. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

This laconic and melancholic portrait of a retired miner who - living in a very conservative social environment - discovers a new music style is one of my favorite German films of the last decades. Schorr's cinematic work is beautiful: nearly always using static shots, often contrasting with each other by the way of their sound design - and returning to the opening frame with his last (slightly differing) shot.

9. Carmine Loru's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

10. Ian Pike's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Dull! Long sequences of not very much happening interspersed with sequences with absolutely nothing happening - bin stores, garage doors, garbage cans on a driveway. Might have been interesting when Schultze (predictably) gets to America, but I lost the will to continue through an hour of the man's mundane existence.

11. Michael's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

What a lovely surprise. A heartwarming and very funny film with great visual and aural humour and a real heart. Beautiful pacing and surprising at every turn. A great central performance and great use of music

12. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

What a great movie. A lovely story, and some beautiful shots. Very human. It didn't pan out the way I had expected, it was none the worse for that though. I thought it was very authentic, I lived in Germany for a few years and this took me back. Schultze reminds me of my ex-father-in-law, which added to the amusement/engagement factor for me. Recommended.

13. First Lady Dré's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Music beer and death - a perennial combo

14. Tja's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

...or the perks and perils of retirement. Our chunky German finds cultural freedom via his accordion and ability to raise his porkpie hat at anyone and everyone. Those Louisiana Yankees sure are friendly and no one gets shot. So much beer, so much time.

15. sajesse's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

More dry, melancholy and strangely absurdist than I was expecting - and all the more affecting for the combination of distanced and sometimes stark imagery with genuine music of the people, whether German or Southern US.

16. SafeStanding's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

This was very entertaining with it's different approach. Dry German humour that actually works! More films like this please.

17. Aaken's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues

Wonderful film. Very humane and generous. How the life of an average man finds a new meaning when the latter finds out about a new music style. A very unique road movie.

18. knockkneed's rating of the film Schultze Gets the Blues