1. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Scream

When Paul Verhoeven saw the teenage sitcoms of the 1990s, he saw the roots of fascism. When Wes Craven saw the teenage sitcoms of the 1990s, he saw sexually-represed murderers. Both would turn out to be right.

2. Lola Finch's rating of the film Scream

3. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Scream

Manages to satirise, deconstruct and revitalise the slasher movie all at the same time. Far smarter and more cine-literate than they typically teen audience at the time would have understood. Rather than just a film school discussion piece however, this also has great horror chops and gore to spare. Some great set pieces and assured direction, especially the intro sequence

4. pintobean's rating of the film Scream

5. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Scream

As much about the psychology of personal narrative as it is a movie about movies. I never really got the hype for Wes Craven until this one

6. Vincent T's rating of the film Scream

7. Nolan Barth's rating of the film Scream

As a self-professed horror junkie I found this movie to be incredibly fun! In 1984 Wes Craven redefined the horror genre with the release of A Nightmare on Elm Street. In 1996 he does it again with Scream! This movie is a deconstruction of the slasher genre as a whole! It admittedly hasn't aged well in some areas, but that doesn't really bother me all that much. In fact, I think it just adds to the film's charm.

8. Ade Hendy's rating of the film Scream

Even better than my first view at 5th grade in elementary school!

9. Sarika Joglekar's rating of the film Scream

a little *too* self-aware, but still landmark

10. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Scream

11. VivianDarkbloom's rating of the film Scream

Sydney Prescott is way more badass than any of the final girl. She is tough as hell

12. Log Lady's rating of the film Scream

A solid 3.5 stars. When I saw Scream the first time, I was naive and clueless, but revisiting Craven's classic after 15 years was an entirely different experience. Hundreds of horror movies under my belt, I now appreciated the meta aspect, the constant references to other films, and the self-deprecating attitude to the slasher genre. A goofy satire, but also works as genuinely intense horror with a surprise ending.

13. First Lady Dré's rating of the film Scream

I'd forgotten how funny this is - also that the women are the tough guys.

14. alimcintyre's rating of the film Scream

I didn't know whether to laugh or scream. Mostly I laughed.

15. SiIencio's rating of the film Scream

Highly marketable and commercial polished-but-not-subtle teen horror flick which has appealed to a particular wide audience however the alleged satire or spoof is minimal and insubstantial. It is unashamedly and straightfowardly what it seems and Wes Craven carries it effortlessly. Now, it is a husky voice, confusion and a lot of ketchup. Let's not pretend we have discovered the self-cleaning pants here.

16. Paul Relf's rating of the film Scream

Worth watching for Drew Barrymore's excellent opening scene alone.

17. ajdehany's rating of the film Scream

18. Tja's rating of the film Scream

Bad taste is an acquired taste & I just made it through this overly-long, fairly inventive horror spoof.The Fonze is promoted to Principal but fails to hold down the job, and 'Monica Geller' looks unaccountably taller - perhaps the cam adds ten inches? Never leave via the cat flap. Ever.

19. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Scream

Wes Craven's self-reflexive and ironic film is a milestone of meta-cinema. In using every means - e.g. dialogues, citations, camera movements and sound - to comment on the action as well as on the rules and dramaturgy of the slasher genre (especially his own horror movies like the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series) he introduced new dimensions of narration into this kind of cinema.

20. Steve G.'s rating of the film Scream

About as subversive as a One Direction fan in Claire's Accessories. Shut up, Mubi.

21. Pedderrs's rating of the film Scream

Whereas most films have a hard time working on even a singular level, Wes Craven's Scream works on at least two. This is both a great satire and a thoroughly entertaining slasher film. The script is witty and wonderfully self aware ("this is like being in one of those Wes Carpenter movies") and all of the actors give convincing, straight performances to prevent Scream from becoming farcical. The opening dazzles.

22. Raminta's rating of the film Scream

-Find her, you dipshit! Get up! -I can't, Billy. You cut me too deep. I'm dying here, man!

23. Syranos's rating of the film Scream

Un classique du film d'horreur.

24. Lovegood15's rating of the film Scream

THE BEST OF THE BEST, MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!

← Previous 1 3 4